Building a chicken moat/run around the garden in stages.

I was thinking that using 2x4 fencing between moat and garden would keep that fence clear of growth.
LOL well then aart you would be breaking all of the OCD rules that the inner fence doesn't match the outer fence! lol

Wife wouldn't go for that.

LOL well then aart you would be breaking all of the OCD rules that the inner fence doesn't match the outer fence! lol

Wife wouldn't go for that.
It is true... if they do not match perfectly they have to have some semblance of one another.

Function over form baby.
wink.png

Would save money too...again function trumps form.

Last edited:
We get our chickens this week! So excited we took a 55 gallon fish tank (that we use as a terrarium for starting plants for the garden) and made it a baby chicken home. So there's the Momma Heating Pad, puppy pads, food and water. :) We are almost ready!! More chicken moat updates coming this weekend as we begin to put up the first section.

Two pictures below to show their first little home.

I was actually thnking of your project today! I started on my garden coop this afternoon since I decided that the chicks were getting way too crowded in their temp situation. Coop should be finished tomorrow since it's a super-simple design that I'll have to worry about winterizing later. This is the coop for the silkies, cochins, mille fleur bantams, and Polish

It's going to have two runs that go along the fenceline like your moat to help control bugs. The other two sides are a parking lot and a highway, so not as worried there...have ornamental bushes planted along the fenceline that aren't quite established enough to stand up to chickens. Got some concord grapes to train on part of the run for shade (with proper protection from the chickens),

Congratulations on your chicks! One of my buff orpington pullets is one of my favorite chickens...she's my lap chicken. My single barred rock is a little stand-offish, but I understand that's not typical.

We hope to actually have updated photos of the first section of run that we have already built. Weather here in Indiana, and my vacation to Iowa put us a bit behind, we wanted to set posts and the 5 panels that we have built last weekend, but rain, rain, and more rain.

It's raining today though so we are shooting for this weekend to set some posts and panels and then it will start to look like the moat!

I was actually thnking of your project today! I started on my garden coop this afternoon since I decided that the chicks were getting way too crowded in their temp situation. Coop should be finished tomorrow since it's a super-simple design that I'll have to worry about winterizing later. This is the coop for the silkies, cochins, mille fleur bantams, and Polish

It's going to have two runs that go along the fenceline like your moat to help control bugs. The other two sides are a parking lot and a highway, so not as worried there...have ornamental bushes planted along the fenceline that aren't quite established enough to stand up to chickens. Got some concord grapes to train on part of the run for shade (with proper protection from the chickens),

Congratulations on your chicks! One of my buff orpington pullets is one of my favorite chickens...she's my lap chicken. My single barred rock is a little stand-offish, but I understand that's not typical.
We have had hail and rain nonstop which has halted our progress on the run/moat building but we will get to it and post pics as soon as we can make some more progress. I'd love to see a picture of yours too!

Got a few hours after work yesterday and before the rain today to get some work done so here's an update:

Picture 1: The location to the right is our barn and raised bed garden (don't judge me yet it's not cultivated I'll get there)

Picture 2: 4x4 Post next to the barn and string to get it all set right. The run part of this will be 3' wide and there will be a 3' walkway for the garden so we are working on the exterior part of the moat first.

Picture 3: First panel set it is 6' wide to accommodate the 3' run and 3' walkway. You will notice the post by the barn is higher. There will be a roofed section of the run along the barn that will cover the coop door and give them shade, as well as rain/snow protection.

Picture 4: three of the 5' panels that will be the exterior section of the run are set. The gap you see at the corner is for the gate to get into the run from outside the garden.

In a previous post you see the panels being built in the barn. So we set the 4x4s, screwed the panels to them and added temporary 2x4s as support while the quikcrete dries. The upside of this technique is we can build a panel and add on to this fence a little at a time as money allows. Also, when we have yucky weather we can work in the barn building panels and gates and not lose that much time. That's all we got done before it began raining hard enough we had to give up. More updates coming as we get more done :)

So awesome!!! I'm excited to see the progress. Here is our coop and run. We are working on a duck house right now and 8x8 pen for them.

We planted trumpeter vines on the front for shade year round and grape vines to help shade during summer. We only have 1/3 of an acre so no moat and garden for us unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom