brahma and cochin comparison

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Brahmas and cochins seem really similar to me. I have a cochin and not a brahma though. What are their differences and similarities? Are Brahmas as fluffy as cochins?

Thanks,
CJ

In most/hatchery stock, there isn't that much difference. When looking at the breed standard though, there is a difference.

Cochins are much fluffier, and have the appearance of shorter legs, a shorter neck and back, and a huge round fluffy rump with almost no tail, but the tail is quite low in angle. The legs are very heavily feathered, the comb is single in type, and the bird in general is pretty plump looking.

Brahmas are a more balanced looking bird with less fluff and the appearance of a longer neck, longer legs, and more proud looking body. Their back isn't so round, instead it is a generally straight line that goes up from the shoulders to the tail. (although males are more concave) The tail is at a normal angle. Brahmas also have pea combs and a broad, powerful looking skull with deep set eyes, giving a serious expression especially in females.

Here's some photos for comparison. UK type Brahmas though are indeed different, as "vulture hocks" are allowed there, which do indeed make them look similar to Cochins having more feathering.

Cochin

Brahma

( photos from feathersite )

If you look at illustrations too, ones drawn to the SOP at least, that also gives a good idea of the difference. Cochins have a very exhibition-type appearance, basically an "extreme" fluffy feathered look. Brahmas are more just a strong built, balanced look.

cochin? Or brahma? Thanks

same question cochin or brahma? I got a "suprise" pack from a online hatchery and they didnt send a list. I have so many cool looking chickens and no clue what they are. Any help is greatly appreciated!

the black&white one im not sure of, the all white one im pretty sure is cochin, she is very fluffy, short legs, neck, and rounded backside.

Back
Top Bottom