Black oil sunflower seed/Feeding question...

I used to sprout the flaxseed for a horse I had. She had to have a certain medicine and the sprouted flax was a perfect way to get it in her plus it is so much more healthy. Below is a chart comparing milled flaxseed to sprouted flaxseed powder. I would think that fresh sprouted flaxseed would have the same increase in nutrient level.
http://www.health4allproducts.com/compare.htm

For the chickens (approx 50 chickens) I put in a big pot, 3 cups BOSS and 1 1/2 cups whole flaxseed add about 12 cups water, bring to a boil and then dump in enough oatflakes (porridge) to have it thicken up.
I usually make it the night before and it gives the mixture time to soften and thicken.
My chickens LOVE it, they go crazy for it.
Other people I know just feed the BOSS and Flaxseed in a dish as a treat but I don't know how much their chickens actually ingest.

I can buy a 40 pound sack of BOSS for $20 and a 44 pound sack of whole flaxseed for $25 and it lasts a long time.

From the net. Looks like the soil sprouting is the easiest.

Sunflower seeds in the shell can also be sprouted. Though any untreated sunflower seeds will sprout, the small, black oil-sprouting grade will produce the best, most abundant results. The striped shell variety is a little more labor intensive because the shells have to be removed by hand after the seeds have sprouted.

Sprout Basket: Start by soaking about 6 tablespoons of the seeds overnight. If any seeds float, stir them into the water. Next day, drain off all the water and put the seeds into a loosely woven natural bamboo basket that has not been treated, painted, or coated with shellac. Create a loose tent with a plastic bag that is larger than the basket and can be zipped closed. Put the basket with the seeds inside the tent and zip closed. Remove and rinse about 3 times daily under a spray faucet and return to the tent. While light is important for developing the green leaves of the maturing sprouts, the seeds will do best with indirect light. In hot weather, it may be helpful to leave the end of the tent open for improved air circulation.

Sprouting Jar: Though a jar is not the best method for sprouting sunflower seeds, it does produce limited results. Sunflower sprouts do best when given the opportunity to grow tall, about 4 to 6-inches (10 to 15 cm) in height, and not be cramped into a jar that will inhibit their growth. When using a glass jar for sprouting, start by soaking the seeds overnight in the jar. Cover the top of the jar with cheesecloth secured with a rubber band. Next day, drain off water. Lay the jar on its side at an angle with the mouth of the jar resting lower to allow for drainage. Rinse sprouts 3 times a day, drain, and lay the jar on its side. There is no need to remove the cheesecloth to rinse the sprouts.

Soil-Sprouting: Purchase two aluminum foil pans, one about 9-inches by 13-inches (23 by 32.5 cm), the other a little larger to act as the drip pan. Use an ice pick or pointed nail to punch holes in the smaller pan. Then put a 1-inch (2.5 cm) layer of potting soil in the smaller pan. Soak the sunflower seeds with shells overnight, and drain the next morning. Arrange the seeds over the soil, cover with a layer of wet newspapers, and set the smaller pan into the larger one. Keep the newspapers moist, lifting each day to check the progress of the seeds. When you notice little sprouts emerging from the shells, remove the newspapers and provide plenty of light and warmth. Keep the soil moist. After several days you'll notice leaves begin to form at the tip of the sprout stem. Harvest your beautiful sprouts in about 10 to 14 days and enjoy them in salads and sandwiches.

I can not find " BOSS=Black Oil Sunflower Seed" that are reconmended for chickens. I've asked several feed stores about this and they all say that they don't carry any other than what's on their counters. They all say "recommended for song birds",these birds are not for human consumption. Are these seeds coated with something that will harm my chicken?

The statement "recommended for songbirds" has nothing to do with the eventual human consumption of the seed-eaters. BOSS - in the "songbird" bags - is perfectly fine for chickens.

I used to buy a 7 lb bag at Lowe's in the garden department, but then discovered my favorite feed store carries 40# bags of it, and it's a whole lot cheaper in bulk.

I've never used "scratch." BOSS is the only seed product I've ever given for treats. The chickens are happy enough with the BOSS and other people food treats I give them. And it doesn't interfere with their feed consumption, so I'm not lowering the protein they eat.

My ducks like 'em too.

roadrunner#1 :

I can not find " BOSS=Black Oil Sunflower Seed" that are reconmended for chickens. I've asked several feed stores about this and they all say that they don't carry any other than what's on their counters. They all say "recommended for song birds",these birds are not for human consumption. Are these seeds coated with something that will harm my chicken?

the kind for songbirds is fine. I don't think mine are coated, but some brands do have a vitamin coating on them. The package should tell you.

What I find is that they are just not very "clean" --- meaning that I find twigs and bits of the plant in the bag -- which doesn't hurt my chickens at all since they eat it off the ground with all other leaves and twigs, but I immagine that they are just not considered "human grade" hence the not for human consumption warning.​

Black Oil Sunflower seeds are valued for their oil content, which accounts for about 50% of the seed dry weight. Boss is an excellent protein source 16-20% and Sunflower protein is less rich in the amino acid lysine than soybean protein but it does have a relatively high amount of the amino acids cystine and methionine. BOSS has a lot of omega oil which is good for animals fur coats and helps feathers shine and stay healthy. BOSS is more readily eaten by chickens than flax seeds. The oil that adds fat to their diet and helps their weight will make feathers glossy and shiny. This is important because the oil on the feathers will help keep their bodies insulated against cold and dampness.

It has also been said that black oil sunflower seeds play a large role in egg production. If you have hens that aren’t laying like they used to, try adding sunflower seeds to give them a productivity boost. You should not only see a boost in the number of eggs laid, but also the quality, making sunflower seeds a worthwhile addition to your chickens’ diet. Even if you don’t see a change in the egg production of older hens and ultimately decide to cull, you will see an increase in their weight beforehand.

A Brazilian study found increased egg weight in hens fed sunflower seeds. Its researchers stated that increasing levels of sunflower seeds in daily rations did not affect feed intake, feed conversion or yolk color.

Sunflower seeds contain 31% more iron per gram than raisins, another popular source for iron.
Overall, sunflower seeds are a good source of a number of important nutrients.

Nutrient Amount (per 1 lb) Calories2588.40 Protein103.50 g Carbohydrates85.25 g Fiber(dietary) 47.74 g Sugars15.03 g Fat225.46 g Water24.38 g Omega-3 Fatty Acids0.25 g Omega-6 Fatty Acids148.40 g Lysine24.5 mg

Vitamins:

Vitamin Amount
(per 1 lb) Vitamin Amount
(per 1 lb)
Vitamin A 222.48 IU Thiamin 10.36 mg
Riboflavin 1.14 mg Niacin 20.46 mg
Vitamin B6 3.54 mg Vitamin C 6.32 mg
Vitamin E 340.50 IU Folate 1033.90 mcg
Vitamin K 12.25 mcg Pantothenic Acid 30.69 mg

Minerals:

Mineral Amount
(per 1 lb) Mineral Amount
(per 1 lb)
Calcium 527.43 mg Copper 7.96 mg
Iron 30.82 mg Magnesium 1609.57 mg
Manganese 9.22 mg Phosphorus 3205.50 mg
Potassium 3132.75 mg Selenium 270.53 mcg
Sodium 13.64 mg Zinc 22.99 mg

They are also high in amino acids...which are very important for muscle building and maintenance.

Here is a good article on BOSS for goats but still informative:
The sunflower seed is a great source of quality protein, vitamins and minerals.
It has particular high quantities of thiamine and niacin. It's main mineral ingredient is iron, which is a difficult nutrient to obtain in sufficient quantities.

Feeding Sunflower Seed May Prevent Enterotoxemia By George F. Haenlein, University of Delaware, College of Agricultural Science, reprinted from Dwarf Digest, Summer 1998
Enterotoxemia is one of the major problems in dairy goat husbandry. The usual preventive treatment is vaccination against the offending clostridial perfringens microorganisms with bacterin toxoid type C and D at least twice annually. However, enterotoxemia is also known as overeating disease or toxic indigestion. It occurs after excessive feed intake by baby kids and adult goats especially when feed is very palatable; when the animals are hungry; when they stuff themselves with concentrate feeds, shelled corn, oats, oil meals and pellets, and when the feeds don't have long fibers.

However, nature made a neatly packaged feed which is palatable to goats without being too palatable, and which as a highly nutritious content inside its very useful fiber wrapper. This is the suflower seed. It was not routinelyavailable commercially in this country until recent consumer interest developed in sunflower oil, in shelled, salted or toasted sunflower seeds in natural food store snacks, and in sunflower seeds for winter wild bird feeding.
The bulk density of sunflower seeds is much less than for the other seeds, which might be another advantage against overeating disease; it takes more time for goats to eat 1 lb. of sunflower seeds than to eat 1 lb. of shelled corn.
However, due to the very high fat content of sunflower seeds, exceeding even soybeans, the total digestible, metabolizable and net energy contents for lactation are even higher than for oats and are not much less than for corn or soybeans. The mineral contents of sunflower seeds are higher than for corn; for calcium, phosphorus and potassium, sunflower seeds are much higher than either corn or oats; and the protein content is much higher than for corn or oats.
The main value of sunflower seeds, to date much overlooked in the nutrition and management of dairy goats - of dairy cows, too - is the high fiber content without sacrificing energy, mineral and protein values.

Black oil sunflower seed is good for them and helps with glossy coats. Goats like the whole sunflower plant if they can get it. However, if you are milking goats, it can suppress their milk.

Back
Top Bottom