Black chicken with yellow/gold on neck

Seffrina

Hatching
Jan 16, 2022
Over the years my chicken flock at my parents’ house has become quite mixed. But lately I’ve noticed that there are quite a few bantam hens that look like this one.
This one is by far the nicest though. She is very pretty 🙂
She looks like a bantam wyandotte to me, but I don’t really know.
I’ve never seen a rooster with similar colouring, but I’d like to be able to breed one. What breed does she most look like? And what breed of bantam rooster would be best to mate with her to produce chicks that will look like her when they’re grown?

Attachments

• 5DB39355-8EBC-469C-B7AD-FF15E6F32E7E.jpeg
    5DB39355-8EBC-469C-B7AD-FF15E6F32E7E.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 161
Well, it depends what breeds are in the current flock. It looks like a Brahama/cochin bantam. Very cute!

And what breed of bantam rooster would be best to mate with her to produce chicks that will look like her when they’re grown?
Any sort of rooster that is black, black with gold leakage, or black with red leakage will produce chicks with a similar coloring. If you want the same body type as well, choose a rounder looking rooster. A brown red cochin would probably be a good choice.
Well, it depends what breeds are in the current flock. It looks like a Brahama/cochin bantam. Very cute!
This hen has a rose comb, while brahmas have a pea comb, so not a first generation brahma/cochin cross. She also doesn’t have feathered legs.

I'd wager a bantam orpington cross of some kind. They can come in birchen and that would help explain the build she has without feathered legs.

For her mate look for a black breasted red or gold, that has a red shoulder and a black wing. You don't want one with a colored wing tip. Her color is called Brown Red, it is the gold version of Birchen.

For her mate look for a black breasted red or gold, that has a red shoulder and a black wing. You don't want one with a colored wing tip. Her color is called Brown Red, it is the gold version of Birchen.
Black breasted red would have the colored wing tip.

Back
Top Bottom