I’m a failure 😞. Beethoven-Hen is gone, Canna is gone, Arizona and sunshine are gone. Everyone I have cared about is gone! Hen-Rietta stays with me for pity I guess. My heart isn’t just broken, it’s been shattered thru a paper shredder and then burned with a blowtorch!!
I talked with the guy who has the rooster and asked him to wait for a while and he said he would.

Roosting drama!

Some roosting, some come in, Tuff hops down, girls scatter back outside....Tuff finally goes back up to roost, some settle on top of the nest boxes ...Twirp decides to hop down from the high roost onto the nest boxes and summarily tosses EVERY SINGLE ONE off (babies, Cardhu, Chia, Maizie...) Maizie scatters everyone on the ground back outside... a few of the babies decide to use the lower long roost...Mera won't let them get too close to her.... finally start staying put...Rose, Daisy, Hetty and Jane still (more like back) outside along with Enigma, the evening designated babysitter.

Head count....where is Hetty? Back outside I go....no....back inside to double check the count....there's a small black shadow blending in near (but not snuggled up to) Hector who surprisingly has 1 side without a hen snuggled in. The quiet little sneak (Hetty) got past me and settled in all quiet like! All babies finally in, just waiting on Enigma.

Kate decides she has to roost with the adults. From the top of the nest boxes, she launches OVER the loaded high roost to land on Cuckoo on the slightly lower roost on the other side of the coop! Instant kerfuffle! Kate slides off, in-between Cuckoo and Primula, getting a beating in the process, then squirms under Primula to end up between her and Belladonna who stands up. More beating, more squawking. Kate turns around, still protesting, to look directly at me.....(She's got The Look down already). And she sits, leaving both Primula and Belladonna staring at her tailfeathers.

I closed the hatch and skedaddled out with the egg basket.

20240509_071924.jpg
Thirsty pic from this morning with all the fresh rain water. Left to right: Cardhu, Maizie, Nimbus, and Lark.

Sleeping

I put the larger brooding plate in with the chicks as my niece will need the smaller brooder for the chicks she will hatch.

They seem ok. I used a brick paver to help block the one side and keep the warmth in. Might use another paver tomorrow, it seems very open to me. But they seem to be quiet and not chirping or scrambling around.
EA2673CF-FF44-4FFD-94BA-1158609A9570.png

Reenie is also snoozing
FD798300-6395-47FE-AF7A-8103F8A1BE06.png

Roosting drama!

Some roosting, some come in, Tuff hops down, girls scatter back outside....Tuff finally goes back up to roost, some settle on top of the nest boxes ...Twirp decides to hop down from the high roost onto the nest boxes and summarily tosses EVERY SINGLE ONE off (babies, Cardhu, Chia, Maizie...) Maizie scatters everyone on the ground back outside... a few of the babies decide to use the lower long roost...Mera won't let them get too close to her.... finally start staying put...Rose, Daisy, Hetty and Jane still (more like back) outside along with Enigma, the evening designated babysitter.

Head count....where is Hetty? Back outside I go....no....back inside to double check the count....there's a small black shadow blending in near (but not snuggled up to) Hector who surprisingly has 1 side without a hen snuggled in. The quiet little sneak (Hetty) got past me and settled in all quiet like! All babies finally in, just waiting on Enigma.

Kate decides she has to roost with the adults. From the top of the nest boxes, she launches OVER the loaded high roost to land on Cuckoo on the slightly lower roost on the other side of the coop! Instant kerfuffle! Kate slides off, in-between Cuckoo and Primula, getting a beating in the process, then squirms under Primula to end up between her and Belladonna who stands up. More beating, more squawking. Kate turns around, still protesting, to look directly at me.....(She's got The Look down already). And she sits, leaving both Primula and Belladonna staring at her tailfeathers.

I closed the hatch and skedaddled out with the egg basket.

View attachment 3827159Thirsty pic from this morning with all the fresh rain water. Left to right: Cardhu, Maizie, Nimbus, and Lark.
Hahaha run quick! Before they get thoughts of going after you 😊

Tonight everyone here, was in the Hen Houses eggcept Cash, whom I chased inside.

No drama at all tonight! Bet tomorrow they make up for it!

I’m a failure 😞. Beethoven-Hen is gone, Canna is gone, Arizona and sunshine are gone. Everyone I have cared about is gone! Hen-Rietta stays with me for pity I guess. My heart isn’t just broken, it’s been shattered thru a paper shredder and then burned with a blowtorch!!
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs You are NOT a failure! Grief does bring those feelings, and loss hurts! You take excellent care of those you love! Tears are cleansing. She'd them when you need to. Don't be stoic and hold the emotion in. That's when it festers and gets bad. There is a passage in Psalms (I think) that talks about God storing your tears up. (Had to go look, it's in Psalms 56).

Several years ago, I ran across a study about the chemical make up of tears. They discovered that tears shed in joy and tears shed in sorrow and tears shed in anger all are chemically different. Combine that with Psalms 56 and I had mental picture of God storing each person's tears in assorted bottles and vessels from all times in history, each labeled for who's tears and why they were shed. Some people with a simple shelf and others with entire storehouses of bottles, jars, barrels, beakers, and anything else that could hold liquid.

Let the tears come as they will. God treasures Every Single One.

Oh Alex I am so sorry about Beethoven-Hen. You have had a lot of loss recently and it is hard.
:hugs :hugs

But you are not a failure. Beethoven-Hen lived a wonderful and long life in your care. So did the wonderful Jaffar.

Take your time to mourn, but remember the others need you (including the littles) so stay strong for them!
:hugs:hugs

Oh no, I'm so sorry for all of your losses. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs You really were a good father to them. You were never a failure.

Come now Alex. You are far from a failure. You have those chickens the best lives any chickens could ever have. That's not a failure. You are a tremendous success. Your chickens love spending time with you. Most chickens will never know the care and love that yours do. You made their lives wonderful.

How can that be a failure?

Your heart is broken. A dear friend has departed. But they did not leave you, it was their time to move on. I pray the lord gives you the strength to see all of the good you do and helps you to appreciate the time you had together. He has given these precious beings into your care and you have not let him down.

:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Always know that we are here for you.

Back
Top Bottom