Belchertown MA Chicken Swap Sat. April 18 CANCELLED

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
So, in a nut shell, one can only sell/swap birds that are NPIP tested and certified at any Mass events. But NH does not have that regulation(?)

Yes technically every state has this regulation.
NH has the same loosely worded rules. it isnt as specific with in state birds as it is with out of state birds and animals.

I advised Matt to get chatter going on this thread and see how many people actually have had NPIP done.
If you are selling hatchery birds you should have a NPIP certification paper with the chicks. mine came with one.

its always good practice when buying from a hatchery to spend the extra $1.00 for the paper work.​

Also,

not all the sellers at the NH swap were NPIP certified, correct? I'm assuming it's a come and sell/buy at your own risk kind of event, right? This is how they're doing it for the Keene swap I believe as well.

exactly,
not all members have NPIP done, I personally do and know of quite a few others who have pullorium tests done yearly.

Its always a buyer beware situation when dealing with the sale of any animal, even tested flock can come down with something else.
unfortunately no amount of paperwork is a 100 % guarentee of health.

As we say with rabbits the paper is only worth the breeders reputation.
Health certificates are also required when moving rabbits from one state to another , but the regs are so lax that you can take in 3 rabbits for a health Cert and that covers your whole herd.
Chickens on the other hand are tested bird for bird.

Quote:
serama roo? i can get you one. let me poke around when dad gets home tomorrow and see, but delivery would be at westford

Quote:
Not really, it all depends on what my success with the most recent hatch is.

It will probably be Delaware, RI Red, SLW, and a mutt combo of Del/RI Red.

Last edited:
Also just trying to get a head count of how many people are NPIP certified that will be bringing birds or if you have the NPIP card if your bringing chicks.

I'm the one that said about the Ma. Laws. We used to go to the Whately Auction every week. But so many people were buying sick birds, they put a stop to it. The auctioneer said the State put the stop order in, because of so many complaints. I guess they lied, to cover themselves. I'm looking forward to the Swap in Belchertown next month. Hubby is not going to be happy, I already took over one of his pigeon coops for my chickens! And I'm the one looking for a Serama rooster. Lost mine to a couple of dogs. Dogs are gone, coop reinforced!

wee.gif
I will be there thats close for me.

Quote:
i dont think we will be at this swap with the serama roo, can you make it to one of the others? or maybe the westford ma swap?

if you are going to the chichester one I can pick the serama(sp) up and holkd onto it till Belchertown , that isnt a problem.
if they can pay pal or mail you the money for it
I can help out where I can.

you guys decide.

edited to fix the mess up with which swap comes first lmbo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom