Barred Rocks!!!!!!!!! Why are they so mean?

greatchicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
We have 8 Barred Rocks and they have such attitudes. They peck at us all the time.
rant.gif
We have several other breeds and these are the only ones who do this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sorry for your troubles!

Our BR is the sweetest of our small flock. If we sit in a chair in the pen area, she will hop into one's lap; if someone kneels down, she will flap onto the open shoulder.

She has even fallen asleep in my wife's arms!

Mean? Guess someone can breed an aggressive strain, but mine are not mean in the least. In fact, they're my favorite breed. Trust me, you got a raw deal with yours. They're not pushovers in the flock pecking order, but mine have always been quite friendly. You see my avatar, right? Sweetest rooster on the planet, very affectionate.

I was turned off to Delawares a few years ago when I hatched out some chicks from McMurray parents who were nutso and aggressive. Sold them as soon as I could. The breeder strain I have now is super friendly, even the rooster. Delawares and Rocks are known in general for their friendly natures, but on occasion, you may find a certain line tends toward aggression, contrary to their breed reputation.

Are you kidding me? Hatchery, right? My BR's are the world's sweetest! They're so gentle, docile, and never mind being held. They want to be held, and will eat out of my hand. These and Delawares, both. Most friendly birds in my experience! In fact, I haven't even heard of an aggressive strain before! Where are yours from?

If I had to pick one breed to have my whole flock of, these or Dels would be it.

Quote:
They are from a McMurrey hatchery. We have 2 more that we picked up from TSC. They got their chicks from Townline hatchery. We hope they are nicer.

My BR is super sweet but yes, she is the first to peck at things. I have never thought of it as a mean or aggressive trait, but rather that she is curious about everything. Like a toddler who has to put everything in his mouth, my BR experiences her world via how it tastes or feels to her beak. Is it possible this is what is happening with your birds too?

You can always curb the behaviour by correcting it. Each time they beck you, take your index finger and give them a big, strong poke right on their head. Usually if my chickens bite, I will pinch the back of their neck ( with other hand on their back so they can't struggle and hurt themselves ), and push their head onto the ground and hold them until they relax. This is how chickens tell other chickens "NO!" in chicken language, and it's worked to convey my dominance to my flock, and I've got two roosters and three hens! No problems from anyone in ages!! My roosters don't even crow, because they know I'm the boss and I'm keeping everyone nice and safe, and they've all got everything they would ever need ( though I am trying to find them toys because I fear my being sick the past few weeks has made them dreadfully bored ).

Just don't EVER aim to HURT your animal. When doing this you NEVER want to make your chicken scream ( though the first few times they will just because it's a startling experience to suddenly be dominated by the person they always thought was a big push-over - this is not a painful scream, and a painful scream is MUCH different ), or scare them. Your ultimate goal is to feel the muscles in the body relax, and then release them, teaching them "if you are relaxed and calm, then you will be free and happy."

My Barred Rocks are from Meyer Hatchery and 2 of the 3 will hop up on my lap at the same time. One of them likes to be petted and the other likes the side of her head lightly scratched. They are real sweethearts.

Back
Top Bottom