Barred rock rooster breeding

Wfhill

Chirping
Sep 15, 2018
I'm not new to chickens but new to possible chick hatching. I just acquired a 3.5 month old BR rooster and I have a hodge podge of hens. Americaunas, red sexlink, EE, cinnamon queen, blue andalusian, speckled sussexs, and a few more. What will I most likely end up with with these crosses?

I'm not new to chickens but new to possible chick hatching. I just acquired a 3.5 month old BR rooster and I have a hodge podge of hens. Americaunas, red sexlink, EE, cinnamon queen, blue andalusian, speckled sussexs, and a few more. What will I most likely end up with with these crosses?
For all questions genetic...

Use this guy's calculator.

Here is his simple one:

https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

He also has a more complex calculator, as well as pages explaining chicken genetics.

Great stuff.

I just acquired a 3.5 month old BR rooster and I have a hodge podge of hens. Americaunas, red sexlink, EE, cinnamon queen, blue andalusian, speckled sussexs, and a few more. What will I most likely end up with with these crosses?

Lots of black chicks that grow up to have white bars on their feathers. (Probably from Americaunas and Easter Eggers, certainly from Speckled Sussex, some from the Red Sexlink and Cinnamon Queen, some from the Andalusian.)

A few blue chicks with white bars (about half of the chicks from the Blue Andalusian; also some from any Ameracauna or Easter Egger that is blue or has some blue in its plumage)

Some white chicks with black flecks (from the Red Sexlink and the Cinnamon Queen--about half the chicks from these hens, while the other half will be black with white bars. The white chicks will have white bars too, but they won't show up very well!)

Or, to put it another way:
--all chicks will have white bars
--all chicks will be genetically "black," and most will look black
--a few chicks will have that "black" turned into blue by the Blue gene
--a few chicks will have that "black" turned into white, by the Dominant White gene

The Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers probably have muff/beard and pea combs, so their chicks will probably have these traits too.

Any hen who has a single comb and no muff/beard will produce chicks who have single combs and no muff/beard.

Back
Top Bottom