12879_splashrooster.jpg

12879_lightbluerooster.jpg

12879_darkbluerooster.jpg

12879_meganandlance.jpg

12879_picture_218.jpg

12879_heatherchickens.jpg

12879_bantamameraucana1.jpg

12879_silver.jpg

How do Bantam Ameraucana's compare in size to D'Uccles? I have a 12 in. tall cockerel, just barely bantam, so I wouldn't want to put anything too tiny in with him.
Can anyone tell me if how big a Bantam Ameraucana is? I can look up the weight of one but it's hard to get a picture. THanks

I ordered a couple from ideal, only got one though. will post pics when it grow up.
do easter eggers count? because that's what they say ameracaunas from hatcheries are.

Last edited:
I ordered a couple from ideal, only got one though. will post pics when it grow up.
do easter eggers count? because that's what they say ameracaunas from hatcheries are.

I will try and word this right, quite dyslexic so writing is not a fun activity nor am I any good at it =:~). Plus, not computer literate so kinda useless in this day and age of tecno-communication.....

Chickens, in general, don't get "Pedigreed" like an Irish Setter or Arabian horse. They are more like rabbits as being bred to a standard of perfection (SOP). You can have a purebred rabbit with a pedigree but if it doesn't meet the standard set for that breed and general health and soundness standards it will not pass an inspection for registration nor would it do well at most "open" shows (versus youth or 4-H type restricted shows) where knowledgeable and long-time breeders are competing against any other level of exhibitor that wishes to enter and compete on an "open" playing field. The Irish Setter is pure-bred (in USA & Can) by virtue of being of pure-bred and pedigreed parents. They do have a standard of perfection but that doesn't determine if it is indeed considered an Irish setter or not. Here in the US we can sell unregistered dogs and 'call' them a specific breed but in reality they would be "grade" or "of breeding to/from" I.Setter but not certifiable as such and NO progeny thereafter can be registered as purebred Irish Setter.

So the point would be twofold.
1. If your chickens actually fit the standard for and are bred from stock that meet the standard AND will produce to the standard if bred to another "standard-bred" mate of the same claimed breed and variety group then it meets the requirements for "Ameraucana".
2. If your chicken is from standard-bred stock (even show champions) but doesn't itself carry the distinctive breed traits that would meet the breed SOP then we would call it an EE (or Americana [sic]). In my other breeds, I call them "layer flock, dinner, or pet" (LF and bantam barnevelder, Jersey, LF faverolle for the first two and dear husbands serama for the last) if they are not SOP quality regardless of parentage.

hope that helps, k/

Back
Top Bottom