Anyone have F3 olive Eggers laying and egg color???

moving coops

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Okay so to get f1 olive Eggers we breed copper Maran to Ameracuana hens.

You then take those f1 chicks(who lay deep olive eggs)and breed them back to a copper Maran again for even darker olive! This gets you f2 chicks. (Basically 3/4 Maran)

Has anyone taken these f2 chicks and breed to copper Maran again for f3 chicks. So my question really is though I don't think these f3 will lay much darker olive when point of lay. I would guess way higher percentage of chocolate eggs again?

Does anyone breed to get f3 chicks and seen them lay and what color percentage eggs?

I can see why she got the terminology honestly as look at this chart. They are calling it f2 when back to chocolate parent again so obviously if she goes by this chart then yes f2 back to choc again would be f3. So she came to it honestly from chart!

But you do think the f3 generation chicks will grow and end up laying mostly brown eggs again? Correct? Would not be able to tell from just plain Maran eggs!
This assumption is not accurate, if the F2 is a proven hen that lays dark olive eggs and is bred back to Maran rooster, 50% of the Pullets will lay darker Olive eggs, but that percentage is only true if you breed large numbers, say 20 hatching ess, because on small numbers, you may end up with only one Olive egger hen, but how can you spot the Olive egger even if you only hatch one? That is Simple, Marans are single combed, but Ameraucanas are pea combed and the pea comb gene is linked to the Blue egg shell gene(that gives the olive color to the eggs) by 4 centimorgans, and while from time to time you may end up with recombinant mutant(recombination of single comb and blue egg shell), the percentage of recombinants is only 4% and very seldom happens.

Last edited:
Moving Coops, thank you for posting this. It prompted me look up the proper term for what you are doing, which is something that I have been wondering about for a long time.

In genetics, the parental generation, assuming that it breeds true, is termed P1. If two distinctively different P1 animals are bred, the resulting generation is termed F1. The F1 generation may have all similar visible characteristics within the group. If two F1s are bred together those offspring are F2s. Because the F1 parents were hybrids containing the genetic influence of distinctly different P1s, the resulting F2s will show many different visible outcomes for the same characteristic, even though the F1 parents all looked similar. Usually a single characteristic can have a predicted outcome in the F2s, such as 25% a particular color, or 50% with a certain color egg, or whatever individual characteristic you're interested in. However, you cannot predict how all the hundreds of different visible characteristics will combine. If two F2s are bred together, those offspring are called F3s, etc., and the ability to predict characteristics becomes more complicated.

However, that is not what you're doing. You're not breeding F1 to F1. You're breeding F1 to P1, which is a whole different thing, and does not produce an F2 offspring. I went searching for the proper terminology, and found that it is called a Backcrossing (not the same as the term "crossing back"). Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Backcrossing is a crossing of a hybrid with one of its parents or an individual genetically similar to its parent, in order to achieve offspring with a genetic identity which is closer to that of the parent. It is used in horticulture, animal breeding and in production of gene knockout organisms.
Backcrossed hybrids are sometimes described with acronym "BC", for example, an F1 hybrid crossed with one of its parents (or a genetically similar individual) can be termed a BC1 hybrid, and a further cross of the BC1 hybrid to the same parent (or a genetically similar individual) produces a BC2 hybrid."

Top 4 rows are F1, F2, F3 and even a 4th or 5th generation Olive Eggers. I honestly don't know much besides what I told you due to I won both dozen in a poultry raffle and got than from the breeders. If you're wondering what the last two rows are they're Ayam Cemani eggs which I also won lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170902_141706.jpg
    IMG_20170902_141706.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 383
A8EA5593-289D-4F01-8DC4-6CAF2CB91D96.jpeg
His lady I bought some marans from has some f9 olive egger eggers... bred back to a Black copper maran every time. The eggs are a darker brown then the actual marans!! I screenshot Ted the picture picturw sentence me and editited it so you know what eggs belong to who. I so wanted some of her f9 eggs, but she’s only has one hen laying them. She has some f10 but they’re by only a couple months old, not laying I may have to beg her to ship me at least 3 eggs from her one f9 layer... because she plans on breeding to f10s back to ameraucana and they’ll be way lighter in color :((

The ones on the left from my F3 Olive Egger that just started laying this weekend. They looked so dark and chocolate. At times you can see a hint of green when the light hits certain angles. The chicken looks nothing like a BCM (Mostly Red, white butt, pea comb).
F52E654E-F432-4E5F-86A0-42F43C8B12C6.jpeg
F3065087-B793-45A0-9A03-9CEE7B35EB9E.jpeg
The picture is 2 days of eggs from 6 chickens. OE, WL, and 4 ISA Browns.

Hi,
Well thos F3 birds would be 7/8 Marns so thinking by then the olive would look really brownish and probably get a good percentage that were just brown egg layers. How about breeding the F2 back to the blue egg layer?
Or breed the F2 to another olive egger? That might do it.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom