Anyone else not like The White House on The Hill?

Pics

DaYooper_Duck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Upper Michigan
*Warning, may be controversial*

I was subscribed to the YouTube channel The White House on The Hill for the past 4 or 5 months or so, but in the past 2ish months, some of their treatment of their animals has made me uncomfortable. Sure, they have a cool mobile main chicken coop, rare, pretty birds and cute kids, but they also refuse to acknowledge feedback and concern from their viewers, such as myself. They allow their kids to chase and harrass the chickens and baby birds, yell and scream when the birds do something they see as funny, terrifying them, and more. The worst thing so far is their treatment of the emus. First things first, they have 2 females and one male! Seeing as females emus are the dominant gender in emu behavior, this is essentially like putting 2 roosters with a single hen. Female emus will fight to the death over a male, as roosters will. We saw this in one on the past videos, where they found a massive gash on the chest of one of the females. They wrote it off as a dog attack, when an trio of emus could and would kill an attacking dog before it escaped the enclosure. No. This was dominance aggression. It will only escalate is things don't change fast. Hundreds of folks in the comments said this too, over and over, but did they address the responses in the next vlog? NO. They continued to blame it on a dog/coyote attack and have refused to talk about the incident again. Infact, on one of their stories, I expressed my concerns in a respectful but meaningful comment wich quickly took the place as the top comment on the story, and yet...nothing. Not a peep from them. And in the very next video, they installed a 'pool' for them. With a very slippery bottom wich caused poor bamboo to slip and fall. The family then proceeded to laugh and scream at him, startling him and making flail in an effort to get up. He could easily have injured himself in this incident, with the combined slippery bottom and panic. After this video, I finally unsubscribed.

Bottom line is, I no longer support this YouTube channel, and I was wondering wether anyone else feels similarly. Thank you for reading my little rant😊

Bummer! At some point I'm sure they'll be reported and PETA will intervene. Could you flag or report the videos and YouTube can assess them? I hope they don't ever block the comments like some people do........................😒 Makes me sad. Hopefully newbie poultry owners won't repeat anything they see on this channel. I've never watched their videos but don't honestly want to 😤

Haven't watched it. Actually off topic hope you don't mind. But what you describe is typical of you tubers IMHO.
Don't know if you watched the April the giraffe live feed birth a few yrs ago on YouTube, many many did.
I don't live far from the place, Animal Adventure, half hr or so. Been there when they started up, and again after the hype of the giraffe birth. Heard it was bigger and better after they made $$ off the live feed so checked it out again.
I'm not a big PETA person...but ...:sick
Smallest enclosures you could ever see for animals. Road side zoo. No grass for any of them just dirt and mud..
I imagine Tiger King prob was way better humanitarian (wrong word but IMHO you can't care about humans if you can't have basic care of your animals) wise...

Last edited:
Let's hope PETA never gets close to them. There are plenty of other, better organizations that can get involved.
I agree. PETA has their heart in the right place, but too often they take it to the extreme, killing perfectly good pets by the thousands.(euthanasia rate: 50% for dogs, 75% for cats, unown for other animals). They have no business handling animals, much less high maintinence animals like poultry, horses, or dairy cattle.

I had one at my fair last year tell me i should just give my birds to her because I'm 'too young to care for them properly and that she sets birds free so they can live like chickens should.'

Yeah.... no. I'm literally an adult, my birds were in impeccable condition and would just sit there and watch as something padded over and took their head off. I'll keep them in their safe runs where they aren't eaten and can run around safely.

I had one at my fair last year tell me i should just give my birds to her because I'm 'too young to care for them properly and that she sets birds free so they can live like chickens should.'

Yeah.... no. I'm literally an adult, my birds were in impeccable condition and would just sit there and watch as something padded over and took their head off. I'll keep them in their safe runs where they aren't eaten and can run around safely.

Suffice to say I spent every day with my birds from when the barn opened to when it was being locked because I was terrified she would come back and had a friend keep a close eye on them if I had to go somewhere. We've had people just set horses free on our road because they were engaged by fenced pastures.

Back
Top Bottom