Any advice on sexing Appenzeller Spitzhauben?

Faraday40

Free Ranging
10 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
Chicks are now 5.5 weeks.

Chick A has the biggest Spitz. Hatched 1st, so is oldest. Has some wattle development & maybe a comb. Not much color in either, but sometimes gets pinkish if hot or excited.
No idea of gender. Anyone have a guess?
(My fav chick, but I'm not naming it yet....)

Chick B I believe is male. Has the shortest Spitz but small red-pink wattles. His are the darkest wattles & he has a muscular feel to his body.

Chick C- My opinion changes daily about this one. Any guesses? Like chick A, this one has wattles that sometimes get pink if hot or excited. Other times, they're pale.
This one has the best chance of being female.

Chick D Another ? I see a touch of pink in today's pics, but it's not always there & not dark like Chick B's.
When I look from diff angles, I have diff gender predictions. Can anyone help sex these chicks?

C & D look girly to me, and A & B more likely to be roos. I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near 100% certain though!

C & D look girly to me, and A & B more likely to be roos. I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near 100% certain though!
D is looking male now, but C still looks girlish. A (my fav) has not changed much - still undecided. B I'm pretty sure is male.

Using the corresponding letters from my initial post, here are the rest. All are 6.5 weeks, but A is oldest

B male

C Female??

D Male??

And the results? I really appreciate your photos, by the way, and attention to getting close ups of their faces and wattles. Again, much appreciated - thank you!

any guess on this ones gender?

And the results? I really appreciate your photos, by the way, and attention to getting close ups of their faces and wattles. Again, much appreciated - thank you!
A= female

C=female

Here was her Halloween costume.

In Pic below:
C= left (named Spitzie) A= right (named Poofy)
DD trained both over the summer. We decided to keep Spitzie & accepted one of the many offers to sell Poofy.
Sadly Spitzie was killed by a hawk right before Christmas. She was a wonderful gal who was admired by many.
We are starting over again this year.

B & D were both males. Knowing we could not keep them, we gave them away.

BTW- DD trained a few chickens for her 4H project
She made a video with her Sebright & Dominique to show the process. She trained the Spitzes like the Sebright in the 1st half of the video.
0.jpg

All of our growing out chickens learn how to put themselves into the chicken tractor & coop. It really saves time. You'll see last springs Spitzes in the video.

0.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom