Ants in nesting box

You can move hatching eggs. Put them and mum in a closed cardboard box with airholes and move the box where you want them to be. She'll stay on the eggs—they're peeping at her. Just keep the top of the box closed so she's in the dark. Chickens transport much better in the dark.

EDT: Meantime, kill ants.

You can move the eggs while they are hatching... you definitely do not want ants. I would (working very quickly) gently put the eggs aside in a safe something... don't touch the pipping areas if you can manage it. Then quickly empty the next box, spray with some bug spray, especially on the trail they are using in and out, and then re-accomplish the nest, gently replacing the pipping eggs. Work fast. You do not want ants near your pipping helpless chicks. The mother should be impatient to get back in there.

You can move the eggs while they are hatching... you definitely do not want ants. I would (working very quickly) put the eggs aside in a safe something... empty the next box, spray with some bug spray, especially on the trail they are using in and out, and then re-accomplish the nest, replacing the pipping eggs. Work fast. You do not want ants near your pipping helpless chicks.
Anything fast enough to kill ants that quickly would likely harm the chicks, wouldn't it? Or do you have a product in mind?

Yeah that is what I was wondering during and is momma going to sit back on them if I move them out to do this?
She would definitely set back on them (unless she's half feral and won't stay on the nest with you near it. Even then, you would have a fifty/fifty chance of her just growling up a storm at you and puffing over her eggs protectively. Chickens take lockdown seriously.)

I am talking about any old Household ant spray, should be sprayed on the box and on the trail in and out.... don't spray the nesting material, you should replace that with fresh.... (might be the nesting material has matter in it that was attracting them. The bug spray should not come in contact with any chickens....You have to move quickly. The ants are a clear danger to the chicks. She should move right back onto them. Wouldn't you if you were their mama.??

She would definitely set back on them (unless she's half feral and won't stay on the nest with you near it. Even then, you would have a fifty/fifty chance of her just growling up a storm at you and puffing over her eggs protectively. Chickens take lockdown seriously.)
They all like me petting them now. I take them a snack(food) and they don't get mad or upset when I look at them and the eggs.

I am talking about any old Household ant spray, should be sprayed on the box and on the trail in and out.... don't spray the nesting material, you should replace that with fresh.... (might be the nesting material has matter in it that was attracting them. The bug spray should not come in contact with any chickens....You have to move quickly. The ants are a clear danger to the chicks. She should move right back onto them. Wouldn't you if you were their mama.??
Working on it now. Thank you

They all like me petting them now. I take them a snack(food) and they don't get mad or upset when I look at them and the eggs.
Then they're fine with you and won't object to your messing around with the nest(s?)

EDT: Seriously, I once had a nest that was due to hatch the day we were baling hay. (EDT2: She was in the hay-baler.) The mum was a sort-of-tame bantam, and I had to get them out of the way quickly. So I tucked her under my arm, used my shirt-bottom as a basket, and quick-marched them over to the horse-trailer. I put down the eggs, she heard them peeping, and struggled out of my arms to set right down on the new nest. Bit me several times while I tucked her remaining eggs back under her. Hens do not abandon eggs during lockdown.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom