Ants in nesting box

Then they're fine with you and won't object to your messing around with the nest(s?)

EDT: Seriously, I once had a nest that was due to hatch the day we were baling hay. (EDT2: She was in the hay-baler.) The mum was a sort-of-tame bantam, and I had to get them out of the way quickly. So I tucked her under my arm, used my shirt-bottom as a basket, and quick-marched them over to the horse-trailer. I put down the eggs, she heard them peeping, and struggled out of my arms to set right down on the new nest. Bit me several times while I tucked her remaining eggs back under her. Hens do not abandon eggs during lockdown.
Ok eggs and hens moved new nesting boxes in same coop. Sprayed for ants and put peppermint in top of coop to drive any ants out. Peppermint is great for getting rid of ants. This is the first time my girls have set and I worry about everything. Don't want anything I can help to wrong.

Usually, the pipping process is started and finished in 24 hours or less but it varies and depends on many things. Have yours been pipping longer? You might want to go ask the experts on the hatching forums. Some of these people on here have tremendous skills with eggs and pipping and assisting.... I do not have that kind of expertise.

Usually, the pipping process is started and finished in 24 hours or less but it varies and depends on many things. Have yours been pipping longer? You might want to go ask the experts on the hatching forums. Some of these people on here have tremendous skills with eggs and pipping and assisting.... I do not have that kind of expertise.
I will go ask thanks.

They all like me petting them now. I take them a snack(food) and they don't get mad or upset when I look at them and the eggs.
I am so glad to see that I'm not the only one her brings her brooding hens room service. Thanks for this post...I just had to move the peeping eggs and the mommas (apparently these two are going to co-parent) and was looking for reassurance that they would finish their "job" in the new site.

Back
Top Bottom