Ancona vs. Exchequer Leghorn

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
What is the difference? I am really confused, because I went to see someone with exchequer leghorns, hoping to get a few birds. He said that he entered one of his pullets in an APA show, but he entered her as an Ancona - and she ended up winning reserve mediterranean! Well, I know that these breeds are different. How could this one be exhibited as something it isn't, or is she really an Ancona?

Her comb is not as large as the typical leghorn comb, and it does not flop to the side. Yet she had more white on her than most of the Ancona pics I've seen. I'll have to post a pic of her.

Any thoughts?

I think these two breeds have been confused as the same thing by some and I think some hatcherys are selling them interchangably as well but Anconas should be Black mostled like Mottle Javas or Houdans and such. Exchequer Leghorns should be mostly White with some Black spots.

I have two Anconas and two Exchequer Leghorns. They're about six months old. They were hatchery chicks (from My Pet Chicken) so may not be true to form. I don't have photos handy, but the Anconas are just a shade bigger and heavier set. And a bit blacker. The leghorns have pinkish white legs, the anconas have yellow legs. They're all in the early phases of laying, but the Anconas lay much bigger eggs. The Leghorns lay the smallest eggs I've ever seen a pullet lay. Too small to sell at our egg stand. Plus the Leghorns are touchier and more inclined to lay their eggs in the woods instead of the chicken house. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the Leghorns.

From a hatchery, there probably isn't much if any difference. I'm not sure what the difference between birds from a breeder would be, but I'm sure it's more pronounced. From what I've seen, the exchequer leghorns are meant to be more white with black "spots" and the ancona seem to be more black birds with white mottling.

Leghorns should have yellow legs, not pink. Not sure about the anconas as my standard is in the other room. Also, leghorns normally lay a pretty large egg for the size of the bird.

Back
Top Bottom