A cluttered run

If this is turning into a "what sort of crud can you have in your run to block all out bloodbaths from occuring" thread, here is my contribution.

Compost bin in back corner of run, made of pallets. Access path around exterior of bin that is about a foot and a half wide. Another pallet attached to the "rim" of the compost bin so that they have a large flat area to perch. Also provides shade below. Long natural branch attached to front of elevated pallet to allow a long perch as well as a midway stage/jumping point between ground and pallet. Small house with roofing shingles on it just for fun. Old wooden ladder. Couple other small pallets leaned against fence. Old dried out Christmas tree leaned against large cherry tree. Chicken "tee-pee" built with long branches around trunk of cherry tree.

vDh28qg.jpg

What age would you incorporate young chickens? Mine have their mother with them, will that hurt or help? Should I put her back with the flock before the chicks? Or at the same time? In the past, with adult (rescued) chickens, I usually just fed a bunch of scraps or favorite food-tomatoes and let the new ones join in. Never had a problem integrating adults, but I didn't try more that one rooster, and usually no rooster works best. Space and options for escape help, too. I have a doorway with an outdoor run.

I am trying to integrate 12 pullets with8 hens. I am having trouble with at least 2 hens that like to attack the pullets. I am getting ready to place items in the run to give them space and ability to get away from the hens. I have 2 bird feeders, I am placing tree branches for roosting, twigs in a corner for a hiding place, a tote on it's side to get some shade, and build a dust bath area.

What age would you incorporate young chickens? Mine have their mother with them, will that hurt or help? Should I put her back with the flock before the chicks? Or at the same time? In the past, with adult (rescued) chickens, I usually just fed a bunch of scraps or favorite food-tomatoes and let the new ones join in. Never had a problem integrating adults, but I didn't try more that one rooster, and usually no rooster works best. Space and options for escape help, too. I have a doorway with an outdoor run.
These would best be answered in a new thread that is just about your specific integration situation.

Many people ask for help integrating new chickens. I thought I would show you what works for me.
Great ideas, I am having trouble intigrating my Anconas and Mille's. both 12 weeks old. I keep chasing them out into the pasture with the other gals, but they just run back into the coop. They go out into the old yard with the ducks, but are a bit afraid of the older gals in the pasture/orchard. I know, being Mediteranian, they are a bit flight, more then a bit!! Hopefully with time, they will blend. I don't like them sitting in the coop most of the day.
I will try some hiding places like you did.

Some great ideas that I am going to incorporate into our run. We wont have as much space, but we can use a few of these ideas.
I'm limited with space, too, but I think chickens, like many animals, are kept from being bored by changing up the scene regularly! So, not to stress them out with dramatic changes, but adding new elements here and there and removing some for awhile...then bring them back! Rotating the entertainment!

I'm limited with space, too, but I think chickens, like many animals, are kept from being bored by changing up the scene regularly! So, not to stress them out with dramatic changes, but adding new elements here and there and removing some for awhile...then bring them back! Rotating the entertainment!

I think that's a perfectly fine solution if you're working with a little less space than you'd like. Even moving stuff around the run seems to be novel to chickens and gets them exploring around it again.

Back
Top Bottom