~* 4th annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey/Chicken hatchathon! *~

I am out. My incubator spiked to 107 degrees!!!!! I am not about to wait the rest of the time to find out I have rotten poached eggs. That incubator is getting returned (it was a second test hatch on a new incubator, the first hatch was great though). What would cause a spike like that? I think the temp probe was touching the sponge in the bator and it may have affected the way the thermostat was reading (I didn't use sponges in the first hatch. Thoughts? 
I found that my 2 year old turned off my main bator the other day. The eggs were cold when I figured it out and I have no idea how long they were like that. It's now a waiting game to find out if I caught it quick enough! 70+ eggs hanging in the balance

Are you sure you want to toss them? Do you you know how long it was that high? If it wasn't long they could still hatch the stronger ones. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope your next hatch goes smoothly =)
Too long. I sacrificed one and opened the end and stuck the thermometer in there: 107.4 degrees and I could see that the yolk was literally cooked (or well on its way). It is so early in I would rather reset new ones (I get about 2 dozen a day at the moment anyway) than chance rotten eggs and 21 days resulting in disappointment.

I found that my 2 year old turned off my main bator the other day. The eggs were cold when I figured it out and I have no idea how long they were like that. It's now a waiting game to find out if I caught it quick enough! 70+ eggs hanging in the balance

I'll cross my fingers for you. I've hatched eggs my broody left when the first one hatched they were probably cold for at least 12 hours.. but I think how far along they are makes a big difference. Because only 3 out of the ten she left managed to hatch and they were all developed.

Too long. I sacrificed one and opened the end and stuck the thermometer in there: 107.4 degrees and I could see that the yolk was literally cooked (or well on its way). It is so early in I would rather reset new ones (I get about 2 dozen a day at the moment anyway) than chance rotten eggs and 21 days resulting in disappointment. 

Well best of luck on your next batch =)

I candled my 6 turkey eggs that I set for this HAL. All 6 are developing! Not only developing but moving and grooving like crazy inside! So excited!

Nice! I love it when they start dancing in the egg!:celebrate
I candled my turkey eggs last night and all 10 are going strong. One of my bantam hens went broody, so I gave her 7 of the guinea eggs out of the incubator. I can turn on the autoturner now because theres just enough room in the incubator now.

My broody got off her nest today so I took the opportunity to candle while she stretched her legs. I placed 6 under her found 9 lol. I removed the newest 3 so back to 6. Four are CLxSilkie eggs that were infertile (she is a new laying pullet so I took my chances) and I pulled them from the nest one Cream Legbar is developing well and one I didnt mark but it is developing it is either a pure Cream Legbar or a CLxSilkie
idunno.gif
We will see on hatch day.

So she is down to 2 eggs.

I thought I'd lost my smoky Iowa Blue pullet, but she showed up this morning for a quick bite of breakfast and then 'snuck' back to her nest. I know right where she is so she's going to get moved to a more secure broody pen with whatever she's got. And I've got plenty of IA Blue and/or Norwegian Jaerhon eggs to slip under her to fill gaps! I didn't realize how much easier broodies were as incubators!
big_smile.png
No worrying about turning, humidity, power outages, just keep the food and water filled and leave them alone till hatch! More green too. Ha! I'll have to figure out how many days I've been mourning her, to see if her eggs will count for the HAL.

Back
Top Bottom