Which to choose? Blue Swede or Welsh Harlequin?

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
Hey everyone, I am going to order my new babies soon and I can't decide what breed to choose!
One is definantly going to be a cayuga and I can't choose which the other one should be, but I narrowed my choices down to a Blue Swedish or Welsh Harlequin. They are going to be boys and pets only.
Thanks for any advice!
-Kiki <3

blue sweedish are supposed to be nice. i too want a cayuga :) not sure i know of the welsh harliquin. but after seeing pic they looklike a lighter weight carrying bird. i love the blue sweedish tho they've got something placid about them. nice eyes :) i want the black east indean and cayuga next i think but wouldnt mind a blue sweedishe if my sister would allow me to have more lol i'll just tell her they randomly flew in for dinner 1 day lol

Swedish are great ducks in my opinion. They are easy to socialize and love attention. Mine come running when they hear my voice. Love my Swedish! They are good with my kids too and let them snuggle them and pet them etc...
love.gif

Swedes! I loved my two. They were my first ducks. I got them as adults and even so, I was able to get them to eat out of my hands and let us touch them (occasionally), They were just adorable.
To be fair, I don't know anything about WH's. But I do know the Swedes were easy, pretty good layers, and just all around nice ducks.

Last edited:
Since your getting boys I think you'd be okay either way. I think both breeds are lovely.
love.gif

I'll throw the welshies out in the pot. They're very calm and inquisitive ducks. I don't handle my ducks individually much, unless my daughter wants them calm for 4H they don't get a ton of socialization once they get outside but whenever a welsh makes it in the house she acts like a full time house duck. Waddling around the floor from laundry room to living room like she belongs there... My swedish are considerably less calm, so I continue to suggest harlies for pets more so.

I love the WH's -- they are great ducks. Not too big, and with good personalities. I picked the WH's because I loved how they looked, and it seemed like it would be easier to tell them apart from each other with their varied colors. I also picked them because you can sex the babies at hatching by bill color. If you just want males, though, you could even get one or two of each breed just for fun . . .

Back
Top Bottom