pics of homemade waters and feeders

Freeranger

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
if you have cool ideas for feeders and waters made from stuff you can buy or laying around the house, please post pics.
thank you

I use a deer feeder for feeding when I am away from home. My chicks free range during the day so only enough food is required to get them in the coop at night.
celebrate.gif

I had to put a skirt on this particular feeder to keep the feed from scattering to far. But u can set it up to auto feed four times a day and it holds @ 150 pounds of feed.
smile.png

Last edited:
Take a good size PVC pipe and cap both sides. Run it down your table saw, use a dermal, jig saw, drill, or what ever you can think of to cut a spot for them to eat out of it. Use a 90* elbow and it will keep it self full if you play around with it and don’t over fill it.

18601_feeder2.jpg

The one that there head is in is a feeder. It works great for pelleted food or grains. It will not work for mash. The one on the left is a waterier. It is made the same way but I glued the cap on the top. You lay it on its back to fill it up an then stand it back up.

I now use the same thing built out of 3 an 4 inch pipe. They hold around 3 gallons each. The waterier, I added a ball valve at the bottom an a removable cap. Now ya just shut of the valve an you can remove the cap an fill it with water.

I got a deal the other day on mash feed so I ran a wire all the way down the pipe, around the elbow, out a hole I drilled in the lip of the elbow an across the cage. Now every time a chicken walks across the cage they move the wire which keeps the food coming down.

18601_200901041137_11380.jpg

I don't have any robbing with these feeders an they cant bill the feed out. Its neat watching them stand in line to eat to. The don't gorge them selves as much now an I'm saving on feed.

Thanks, I have about 100' of 4' pipe and i was wondering if it would work well. Iv'e used them for deer feeders before but ended up feeding everything but the deer. lol. I'm also thinking about a Tee fitting on the bottom with 2 90 degree ells so 2 can eat at same time.

i see building the feeder, but not the waterer i paid $15 for an auto and i'll never have to carry water or drag a hose again, when it gets dryer and warmer i'm doing the pvc feeder but i'm dropping it from a storage tote with a lid to increase feed hold

Back
Top Bottom