Food shelter

Justicedog

Crowing
12 Years
May 2, 2012
Maryland
We had our food hanging inside our coop for years, but it seemed to be in the way and was a pain to work around. We switched to having it in our run when we put up a tent in the run (one of those tents you'd take to watch your kid play baseball, but now the kid is 23 and doesn't play and even if he did, wouldn't want you coming and watching). This worked great for 2 years. Then the top deteriorated and a snow storm collapsed it. We bought a new one and the next snow storm broke that one. So I got one of those rent a coop port feeders with the rain guard. That's been okay, but I just went out and it seems the top, which doesn't fasten down tight, was ajar and it let water in so the food was mush and full of ants. I'm back to wanting something with a roof that the feeder will hang from. What do you guys use for feeders outdoors?

I don't know if anything that will keep feed dry outside without a roof over it. And it needs to be far enough away from the edges of the roof so the wind doesn't blow rain on it. I'm not going to only put enough feed in it that they can clean it up in a few minutes, that's too many trips out there and defeats the purpose of free feeding them.

It will be interesting to see what others say. This is a common problem. I have a solid roof over part of my run so I have a place to hang feed.

I don't know if anything that will keep feed dry outside without a roof over it. And it needs to be far enough away from the edges of the roof so the wind doesn't blow rain on it. I'm not going to only put enough feed in it that they can clean it up in a few minutes, that's too many trips out there and defeats the purpose of free feeding them.

It will be interesting to see what others say. This is a common problem. I have a solid roof over part of my run so I have a place to hang feed.
I think I may have to just build a roof over their run. It just intimidates me.

Back
Top Bottom