Coop Feeders & Waterers

skagitchickens

Hatching
Apr 1, 2024
We are about to move our 17 chicks into their new coop/run. I’d love any advice on the best feeder and waterer to get. We do go on overnight trips, so we’re hoping for something that can provide them with sufficient food/water when we’re gone (will also have someone checking on them). I also have one cross-beaked chick. Finally, do you also put food/water in their coop or just the run (have an automatic door opener). Thanks so much from this chicken newbie! It’s been such a fun adventure!

Last edited:
We are about to move our 17 chicks into their new coop/run. I’d love any advice on the best feeder and waterer to get. We do go on overnight trips, so we’re hoping for something that can provide them with sufficient food/water when we’re gone (will also have sunshine checking on them). I also have one cross-beaked chick. Finally, do you also put food/water in their coop or just the run (have an automatic door opener). Thanks so much from this chicken newbie! It’s been such a fun adventure!
So glad you are enjoying your chicks.
I use plastic hanging waterers and hanging metal feeders from Tractor Supply. I have 3 of each in different places in both run and coop and that can last my 7 a week easily.
I do also have a 5-gallon nipple waterer which is sort of my safety net for water in case they run out or spill all the others.

I have the feeder and waterer pictured. It says it holds 18kg. But it really holds about 10kg. This lasts my 17 greedy buggers 10-14 days. Depending on how many wild birds and toads get stuck into it. They have an extensive free range area however. So get lots of food from that.
I just use smaller 3 litre waterers and fill them every day or few depending on season. This also enables me to worm them and keep the water fresh. I have two and just swap them around. Easy for the wife to carry.

I keep them in the run, not the coop. In the coop they will make a mess and knock stuff over more often. They are fine overnight without feed and water. Knocking over is also why hanging is sometimes a preferred option if your birds tend to be a bit rambunctious.

Attachments

• eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiYmFpbmJyaWRnZXZldFwvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC85M...jpeg
    eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiYmFpbmJyaWRnZXZldFwvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC85M...jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 140ca6c5-7167-4c26-b56e-24faeb44aecb.jpg
    140ca6c5-7167-4c26-b56e-24faeb44aecb.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 12
We are about to move our 17 chicks into their new coop/run. I’d love any advice on the best feeder and waterer to get. We do go on overnight trips, so we’re hoping for something that can provide them with sufficient food/water when we’re gone (will also have someone checking on them). I also have one cross-beaked chick. Finally, do you also put food/water in their coop or just the run (have an automatic door opener). Thanks so much from this chicken newbie! It’s been such a fun adventure!
Here's my setup

Attachments

• chicken coop011.jpg
    chicken coop011.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 8
  • chicken coop012.jpg
    chicken coop012.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom