shayshay22

Chirping
Mar 3, 2022
Hi All!

I have decided to get some ducks, ideally I will start with 2 and then in time probably add another 1-2 in a few months. I am hoping to get some white call ducks but open to others also.

I have a large pen/run with 2 decent sized coops in it. It is enclosed in chicken wire and currently is overgrown by weeds. (I am in the process of getting rid of the weeds)

My question is before getting the ducks what will I need to ensure they have everything they need? I have a small kiddies pool I can add to the pen but other than that I am not sure what food/bedding etc I should use. Any advise would be much appreciated!!

Also is there anything I should look out for when purchasing the Ducks? I do want to get a fully grown duck instead of a ducking as I don't feel confident enough to look after a baby duck just yet.

Another one is how should I clean the pen/coop? its just soil in the pen, I am pulling up weeds by hand as I am afraid if I use weed killer it could harm the ducks. The coop currently has old shavings etc from previous owners of the house so I will have to clear that out but shouls I disinfect the coops too if so whats the best way to do this?

Hello and welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you decided to join our friendly and helpful community.
Unless it's thorns or something else that could hurt the duck's feet, I would leave the weeds. Your ducks will probably decimate it in no time. Mine certainly do!

Hello and welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you decided to join our friendly and helpful community.
Unless it's thorns or something else that could hurt the duck's feet, I would leave the weeds. Your ducks will probably decimate it in no time. Mine certainly do!
Thanks Isadora!!

I was thinking that, its is entirely overgrown though and a lot of it is stingers, would stingers hurt them too?

Back
Top Bottom