Hello and welcome! Ducks are fun and messy! Seriously, so so messy. First I’d recommended getting 3 ducks to start vs just 2-this ensures that if something does happen to one the other isn’t lonely. We started with 6 last March and lost 1 in May to a predator and another in July to a predator (both losses were inside their uncovered run-the first was likely an aerial attack but the latter was a racoon that had climbed over the 6 ft fencing). As PP said definitely make sure you get feed specific for waterfowl/ducks as it will bc contain the proper niacin levels they need. If you decide to raise from ducklings this is very important to prevent issues with their legs.

Hello and welcome! Ducks are fun and messy! Seriously, so so messy. First I’d recommended getting 3 ducks to start vs just 2-this ensures that if something does happen to one the other isn’t lonely. We started with 6 last March and lost 1 in May to a predator and another in July to a predator (both losses were inside their uncovered run-the first was likely an aerial attack but the latter was a racoon that had climbed over the 6 ft fencing). As PP said definitely make sure you get feed specific for waterfowl/ducks as it will bc contain the proper niacin levels they need. If you decide to raise from ducklings this is very important to prevent issues with their legs.
Thanks for the advice, we are going to look into getting 3 or possibly even 4! The pen is already covered in chickenwire but we are looking to get a door on our coop to keep them save at night and will maybe reinforce the pen with the stronger hard cloth. What feed would you reccomend? They will be at point of lay so roughly 30 weeks old

Ducks are lovely but I really don't think I could cope with them my neighbours would go crazy with the noise.

There should be a lot of advice here in BYC we have so many threads.

:welcome
That's one thing I am a bit afraid of, we have a small bit of land and our house is detached so we don't have neighbours right on top of us but their garden is close enough to the pen.... mind you they have a very noisy dog that we don't mind

Thanks for the advice, we are going to look into getting 3 or possibly even 4! The pen is already covered in chickenwire but we are looking to get a door on our coop to keep them save at night and will maybe reinforce the pen with the stronger hard cloth. What feed would you reccomend? They will be at point of lay so roughly 30 weeks old
I would def recommend hardwire cloth over chicken wire. As far as feed if they’re all female you could do a layer feed. I just use Purina Duck Pellets for feed but I have mixed. When I first got them as babies I was using unmedicated chick starter before I realized that they had duck specific feed and had the proper niacin amounts. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Mazuri (sp?) duck feed

Back
Top Bottom