Mareks or vitamin deficiency?

wt190141

Hatching
May 4, 2024
I have an 8.5 week old silkie that started walking weird last Saturday. Just very wobbly and unstable. Appetite is normal and no abnormal poops. The rest of my chicks are fine. But this one is just really struggling to walk. I gave them all poultry cell in their water and syringe fed this one with poultry cell and gave it scrambled eggs. It eats non medicated food.

I brought it inside to care for last Tuesday when it became obvious that it couldn’t walk at all. I continued poultry cell and goat paste selenium with vitamin e 3x a day for 3 days then 2x a day since. I was told to discontinue the goat paste selenium with vitamin e so I stopped 3 days ago.

it’s still unable to use its legs but has a great appetite and is alert. I made it a sling in my house and have been feeding it their food mashed with poultry cell, water, vitamin e, eggs, and tuna for selenium.

Video of how it’s walking:

Is this mareks? Wouldn’t the rest of my flock show symptoms? I have 18 total that are all about 8.5 weeks old and none of the others are having any issues.

The photo shows how it gets stuck in that position but now it’s more of a legs both facing forward position

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    911 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Has the chick always walked normally before now? Could she have become injured? In the video, Mareks does seem to be a possibility. Symptoms can show up anywhere from 5 weeks up to 25 weeks, and beyond. The sling is a good thing to try in case of an injury. Let us know how she gets along and I really hope it isn’t Mareks. If you lose her, send or take her body to the state vet lab for testing and a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Yes, it always walked normally before recently. That video shows it doing the splits when I sit it down but now it’s both her legs going forward. But her wings aren’t paralyzed and her eyes are fine. The rest of my flock are perfectly fine. Do you think it could still be Mareks? At what point do I cull it versus keep treating?
Has the chick always walked normally before now? Could she have become injured? In the video, Mareks does seem to be a possibility. Symptoms can show up anywhere from 5 weeks up to 25 weeks, and beyond. The sling is a good thing to try in case of an injury. Let us know how she gets along and I really hope it isn’t Mareks. If you lose her, send or take her body to the state vet lab for testing and a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.h

Eyes can look normal, and wings can also be normal. With Mareks there can be one leg paralyzed, and symptoms can vary in all cases. Do you have a rooster who could have tried to mate her and maybe hurt her? I would give it some time to see if she has any improvement. Necropsies are done on weekdays. The body should be kept cold, but not frozen and transported soon after death for best results.

Eyes can look normal, and wings can also be normal. With Mareks there can be one leg paralyzed, and symptoms can vary in all cases. Do you have a rooster who could have tried to mate her and maybe hurt her? I would give it some time to see if she has any improvement. Necropsies are done on weekdays. The body should be kept cold, but not frozen and transported soon after death for best results.
They are all the same age, 8.5 weeks so I didn’t think they were old enough to mate yet and I haven’t seen any of them try. I’m not positive this one is a girl either. But do you suggest that I just continue to treat as if it’s a vitamin deficiency until it declines or dies and then do a necropsy? And why wouldn’t my other birds show any signs at all?
I am so thankful for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom