EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Pics

-Shade-

This Is An Illusion
Mar 27, 2021
Ardonia
One of my chickens has a very bloody vent. A couple of weeks ago I had a chicken from the same coop have a blowout, and she died. This chicken--her name is Duds-- has been laying bloody eggs the past several days, and nothing I did seemed to be helping. She now has what looks like a blood clot in her vent, but she is also trying to poop. There is a strange fleshy-looking something coming out of the vent. What is happening? What do I do? is she gonna die?

!!!

I am working from a computer that doesn't have a functioning camera. All I know is she had a huge blood clot in her vent and something fleshy hanging out of it. At one point I tilted her backwards and it went back in but I don't know what else to do.

I did a lot of research and found some things on prolapsed vent, but all the information I found didn't say anything about her bleeding a lot, and she keeps trying to push it out no matter how many times we treat it and put it back in

Hi! She could have a prolapsed vent, and if you have other chickens, she could be bleeding because they have pecked at it. I would separate her and spray some Preparation-H on it if you have it. Otherwise, you could use some honey or sugar. After that, gently push it back in, and keep her in a small crate in a dark room with water, a towel, and maybe some food. Recently, one of my chickens prolapsed, and kept pushing the tissue back out, but over the course of a few days, she got better and is now back to laying. Hope you find this helpful!

Back
Top Bottom