Help! Malnourished chick with impacted crop?

starlabantam

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2017
I have a 1 month old chick who is very lethargic and has impacted crop. I’ve tried everything and not her crop has not been draining at all. She’s malnourished already even tho I’ve been giving her a bit of rooster booster and I think I’m running out of options, please help!

Is your chick still in a brooder?

If so, what kind of bedding do you use?

Do they have chick size grit or rough sand to help with digestion?

What does the poop look like?

Can you feel if the crop is soft and bloated or hard?

Try feeding some pieces of chilled coconut oil several times a day and very gently massage the crop.

Do not try to make it vomit as aspiration would often be the consequence

Is your chick still in a brooder?

If so, what kind of bedding do you use?

Do they have chick size grit or rough sand to help with digestion?

What does the poop look like?

Can you feel if the crop is soft and bloated or hard?

Try feeding some pieces of chilled coconut oil several times a day and very gently massage the crop.

Do not try to make it vomit as aspiration would often be the consequence
I’ve been feeding her coconut oil several times and massaging. Crop became soft but would not go down. I’ve been raising her as a house chicken in a cage with newspaper and cleaning it everyday. She possibly could be older than a month since she’s a rescue chick but she’s been old enough to sleep outside of a brooder. The second to last poop she had was this morning. Liquidy brown and white. The last poop was about an hour ago. It only had a bit of the coconut oil and some digested food. Very liquid, very little. I gave her a teeny sip of Espom salt water before this. She’s very thirsty but she’s becoming too weak to drink on her own.

I’ve been feeding her coconut oil several times and massaging. Crop became soft but would not go down. I’ve been raising her as a house chicken in a cage with newspaper and cleaning it everyday. She possibly could be older than a month since she’s a rescue chick but she’s been old enough to sleep outside of a brooder. The second to last poop she had was this morning. Liquidy brown and white. The last poop was about an hour ago. It only had a bit of the coconut oil and some digested food. Very liquid, very little. I gave her a teeny sip of Espom salt water before this. She’s very thirsty but she’s becoming too weak to drink on her own.
How many hours of natural light and sunshine does she get per day? She might be suffering from vitamin D deficiency if kept indoors all the time.

Single chicks don't do well all by themselves, they lose the will to live without chick company.

How many hours of natural light and sunshine does she get per day? She might be suffering from vitamin D deficiency if kept indoors all the time.

Single chicks don't do well all by themselves, they lose the will to live without chick company.
I bring her outside all the time to forage and dust bathe. I have an area fenced area for her to go into during the day so she’s safe from the bigger hens. And also learn how to read the room. She died in my hands tonight and she fought very hard all day to stay alive so don’t you dare tell me that “oh it’s must because you keep her inside, oh it’s must because she’s alone” the only thing you seem to be capable of is asking questions without giving me actual solutions other than questioning me. How the hell am i supposed to give her sunlight in the middle of the night? How the hell am I supposed to find another chick to keep her company if she was slowly dying on me? Now she’s dead and I can’t do anything at all. Goodnight

Well, you could have provided all the requested information in the first place if you feel so molested by me asking.

We don't have a crystal ball here at BYC although we always try our best to help and assist the owner (from afar) to care for the the sick animal.

Nastiness is not going to bring back your deceased bird nor will it entice other BYC members to help or even converse with you in the future.

Back
Top Bottom