Do YOU eat that butt thing on a chicken?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
You know, that triangular chunk on the assend of a whole chicken.
It has a number of names including Pope's nose. It's technical name is the pygostyle.

I just read that it's highly nutritional. Yeah, well, I'll eat a lot of things most people don't, but you can keep all those to yourself!

People hardly ever ate catfish, until someone said it was good.
Folks didn't give a darn about wings at one time. Now they're $3 bucks plus per pound.

Just wait until the bar industry catches wind of this.
What could be better than a basket full of deep fried Pygostyles???

YES!, just have to make sure you get that oil gland out.
sickbyc.gif

Most times it just becomes part of my stock, I do not go out of my way to eat it directly.

Dom

gig.gif
and
sickbyc.gif
and no

I didn't know that part even had a name (Pope's nose? really? lol)

From the Macquarie Dictionary

What is the origin of the term 'the parson's nose'?
Originally this bit of a chook was called 'the Pope's nose' – and by originally it was in the 1700s in England. It was meant to be a bit of cheerful irreverence directed towards the Pope and chuckled over on each occasion when roast chicken was on the menu. However a century later everyone had forgotten the point of the joke. They started to feel that it was improper for the Pope to lay claim to any part of their chicken or goose and renamed this bit 'the parson's nose' to bring it home to England.

And while eating a parson's nose might not sound particularly tempting, in fact the item of food is regarded as one of the best bits of the chook to eat.

Far be it from me to argue with the Macquarie Dictionary but "the item of food is regarded as one of the best bits of the chook"??? I don't think so!
wink.png

From the Macquarie Dictionary

What is the origin of the term 'the parson's nose'?
Originally this bit of a chook was called 'the Pope's nose' – and by originally it was in the 1700s in England. It was meant to be a bit of cheerful irreverence directed towards the Pope and chuckled over on each occasion when roast chicken was on the menu. However a century later everyone had forgotten the point of the joke. They started to feel that it was improper for the Pope to lay claim to any part of their chicken or goose and renamed this bit 'the parson's nose' to bring it home to England.

And while eating a parson's nose might not sound particularly tempting, in fact the item of food is regarded as one of the best bits of the chook to eat.

Far be it from me to argue with the Macquarie Dictionary but "the item of food is regarded as one of the best bits of the chook"??? I don't think so!
wink.png

I sure hope this comes up in some trivia contest because I'm prepared now, lol.

Pope's nose or parson's nose, hmmm, still a big no thank you!

Back
Top Bottom