Difference Between a Cochin and a Brahma?

Kanthaka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I recently acquired a chicken that I was told was a bantam brahma. Upon looking at some pictures of cochins I was surprised to see that my bird looks exactly like them! Is there a way to tell the difference? Please forgive the ignorance of this question but I have only ever dealt with standard breeds, never ornamentals. She's beautiful and I don't really care what breed she is but I'm curious.
Here's a picture if that helps.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm217/Kanthaka/mechickens2013.jpg

Last edited:
Cochins have straight combs and the brahmas have pea combs and less leg and foot feathering
big_smile.png

Quote:
Agreed.

There are BBS brahmas- but not many here. I was going to do a blue brahma project with a pea-combed splash cochin roo, but just didn't have the room. I agree- you have a lovely black cochin. You gotta love them
big_smile.png

It is a Cochin.
smile.png

There are indeed Black Brahmas in bantam form though.

The difference is FAR from just pea comb versus single comb - Brahmas are very tall, have less shank feathering, should have much less of a "rump" showing, but instead a nice, even back, and should have a good, long neck with a nice brow over the eye and a good dewlap between the waddles, which should not be big. Also, they have far less color options than Cochins.

Back
Top Bottom