Feeders and waterers

they are low I empty all the fines from the bottom into a rubber feeding dish and fill with water to make a mash and they love it
This is really important with port feeders and often overlooked. Those fines can get very old and compacted making it harder for them to access the food. We dump it into the fermented food bucket.

When we first started, we got the plastic one at a feed store that held the dry feed. It worked fine. We also got a metal water font and that worked fine, and we put it up on a paver stone to raise it above the ground to reduce the mess.

Then I started fermenting their feed and discovered they digested it better, got beneficial probiotics from the process, and since the feed expanded exponentially, I saved money on the amount of food used. I found at our favourite local thrift store a thick, heavy round baking dish, used probably for tarts or quiches, and since it's heavy enough, they can't knock it over by standing on the sides. To this day, it works great. Fresh food in the morning, and by the end of the day, they've finished it, and I supplement with sprouted lentils or gardening scraps/weeds/clover or fly grubs. I got a second dish, this one also an oven-wear dish that is rectangular. The second dish helps with our little resident bully, our tiny silkie, Dottie. Yes, she has Napoleon Complex. LOL.

Note: This is in their run, never in the coop/nesting boxes. Just like everyone has said.

As for the water font thing - I had been eyeing the water systems that had either the nipples or cups that self-fill and was hoping to find a sale or something. Began researching, reading reviews, looking through the articles here. Wanted to do an outside unit, with pipes going in and the little cups. But it was a lot of work and focus for a very tired, scatterbrained family. Once I saw the metal font was beginning to discolour due to rusting, I knew it was time, and I bought the smaller, but not the smallest, Rent-a-Coop waterer. It's a corner unit, has four cups that refill automatically, and is actually really well made. Bit the bullet on it probably two months ago and am so glad I did. I add a wee bit of Apple Cider Vinegar (which you cannot do with metal fonts) to the water and the girls took to it right away. They are still messy as can be, and their dust baths kick up the litter and dirt, so I actually have a dedicated turkey baster that I use to suck out the messy stuff every morning. You know that meme that some made about how "Provided clean drinking water; Prefers water from muddy puddle" or something similar? Yeah, that's totally true.

You'll find what works best for you, and then you'll notice things about it that could be better. You'll upgrade. I wish you the best!

I'm not automated. It's easy for me in the morning to dump a few scoops into a plain old plastic dog bowl, designed not to be tipped over, raised up on a few pavers so they can easily reach. All six of them can crowd around it, but usually only three or so do. At night I dump the leftovers back in a large, secure plastic container. I had to quit getting the fancy food with seeds in it because they picked out the seeds and dumped the pellets and crumbles out!

The choices are endless and my head is spinning (newbie here).

I was orginally looking at this for feeding:

https://www.chewy.com/overez-poultr...6HuOfdSO7VD-UHFQDqs-mrKwSwuIUW0BoCnt4QAvD_BwE

and this for water:
https://www.chewy.com/overez-poultr...2csuKd4x6agpM-MkXDlN-CdOL0ulzuJBoCCA8QAvD_BwE

but as I watch videos, read posts and blogs I see so many different ways of feeding. Hanging feeders, smaller feeders. Ive also read some people REMOVE food in the evening? I thought it was supposed to be out all the time?

for reference, we have 6 chicks In the brooder. they will be living in a secure 8x8 pen with You have a continuous running water system. We also have 4" PVC pipes for food storage. We can go away for two weeks before anything needs filling. I love this setup

I’ve spent more time and money on feeders and waterers in the 2.5 years I’ve had hens.
If I could do it all over I would start with what I have now, 2-55 gallon food safe drums up on blocks. One has 6 water nipples with cups drilled into the side and one has 4 feeder access ports in the same area.
I only have to add feed and water every 3 months or so AND I can go out of town and the girls are good to go.
It’s a setup I highly recommend.

I used a cheap wheeled trashcan from Walmart and added six ports around the whole thing. I filled it up with 500 pounds of feed and they were good to go for 2 weeks or so (90 hens, 8 turkeys). When they are young and I'm just putting them outside, I used a plastic storage tote with the same ports. The only thing you'll need to watch is if they are still small enough to fit in the port, they get stuck :idunno

I made the same setup for my 25 roosters and it all worked perfectly.

I was also able to add a wi-fi solar powered camera inside the trashcan so I could check the feed level from my phone.

Added a picture
A wi-fi solar powered camera? link please?

Back
Top Bottom