6 week old chicks sneezing

Julia47

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2019
Australia
Help! Hi I just noticed today few of my 6 week old chicks sneezing and shaking their heads. Just a clear discharge from nose. I give them first time today apple cider vinegar and garlic in water. They sleep at night time in big cardboard box with heat with shavings at night in a home. Day time I taking them out. Should I worried about sneezing?

Help! Hi I just noticed today few of my 6 week old chicks sneezing and shaking their heads. Just a clear discharge from nose. I give them first time today apple cider vinegar and garlic in water. They sleep at night time in big cardboard box with heat with shavings at night in a home. Day time I taking them out. Should I worried about sneezing?
Have they been sneezing a little the last few days or just today when you gave them ACV and Garlic in the water?
What's your housing like?

Have they been sneezing a little the last few days or just today when you gave them ACV and Garlic in the water?
What's your housing like?
I have seen one sneezed maybe once. But today I noticed a lots of sneezing from few chicks after I give them ACV and garlic. They are sleeping inside house at night with heat on pine shavings I noticed shavings quite dusty. I change there bedding every 2-3 days. I have 8 chicks and think about 3 sneezing.

Eliminate the ACV and Garlic, see if that's the cause of the sneezing. They may have gotten some in their nostrils and it burned(?)

What's your weather like right now, you are in winter? At 6 wks, how much longer do you think they will need a heat source? How about ventilation, do you have fresh air coming into your housing - closing up a coop too tightly,even in winter, can trap dust and ammonia which will cause problems too.

Eliminate the ACV and Garlic, see if that's the cause of the sneezing. They may have gotten some in their nostrils and it burned(?)

What's your weather like right now, you are in winter? At 6 wks, how much longer do you think they will need a heat source? How about ventilation, do you have fresh air coming into your housing - closing up a coop too tightly,even in winter, can trap dust and ammonia which will cause problems too.
We at the beginning of the spring. Days around 17c -20c and chicks outside. Night still cold 5c. I was planning to taking them out for night time next week it will be 8-10c?
I changed pine shavings to hemp shavings now and give them plane water. I put 1tbsp of vinegar on 3 littles of water and 1 garlic clove. Should I give them it at all ACV and garlic at this age? Many thanks:)

We at the beginning of the spring. Days around 17c -20c and chicks outside. Night still cold 5c. I was planning to taking them out for night time next week it will be 8-10c?
I changed pine shavings to hemp shavings now and give them plane water. I put 1tbsp of vinegar on 3 littles of water and 1 garlic clove. Should I give them it at all ACV and garlic at this age? Many thanks:)
It won't be long before it warms up then.

No, I would not give them the ACV or garlic. See if that was causing the sneezing.

It won't be long before it warms up then.

No, I would not give them the ACV or garlic. See if that was causing the sneezing.
Thank you very much! Fingers crossed I hope it’s a cause of it. If it’s not going to clear up what do I need to watch out for and what would be my next step in this case? Thanks again

Thank you very much! Fingers crossed I hope it’s a cause of it. If it’s not going to clear up what do I need to watch out for? Thanks
If it's an occasional sneeze - especially when they have been eating/drinking, I would just monitor and make sure there's plenty of ventilation. If the frequency of sneezing increases, there's mucous, , facial swelling, coughing, watery or bubbly eyes, lethargy or they don't want to eat/drink then there's cause for concern - you would be dealing with a respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom