Zone 5 Gardeners United!

Pics
ARG third start of my corn, sunflower and nasturtiums. Marauding mice have again attacked my shelves! I don't see how I'll be able to keep them out. I laid some traps today.
I'm using a Hyllis shelf from ikea, it has a zip on plastic cover but the bottom is open.
View attachment 3085973
Tape the cover down to the bottom shelf and legs. Maybe lean a board against the zipper door.

This is what 5 Nourse Farms raspberry plants look like. Most of the roots are 2-3'.
IMG_20220430_110532.jpg

My attempt to block off the mice from getting inside my greenhouse shelf didn't go so hot. Besides blocking off and trying to prevent entry, I also set mouse traps around and inside. The first night I got two. Excellent! I reset traps and waited again. The next night I think I got four. It was hard to tell, something maybe a possum got into the area and pulled everything apart. It looked like a murder scene. Pieces of mouse trap in mice were everywhere. At that point I decided to tent each container in hardware cloth.

I came across a most helpful gardening site: Tim's Square Foot Gardening
http://timssquarefootgarden.com/gardenlayout.comI'm going to poke around with these ideas, and modify with some purchased started plants.
Very helpful, especially the timeline list. According to Tim and the layout, if starting by seed we should have lettuce, celery, broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts starting. Peppers and tomatoes start 3rd wk March.
Feel free to share your own zone 5 garden plans!
We have a gobal map of seed libraries and Free Plant N garden Stand
Plus a fourm on here. There are more opening up all the time. We are in zone 9 here in Arizona but up in the high country we have zone 5.

Last edited:
My attempt to block off the mice from getting inside my greenhouse shelf didn't go so hot. Besides blocking off and trying to prevent entry, I also set mouse traps around and inside. The first night I got two. Excellent! I reset traps and waited again. The next night I think I got four. It was hard to tell, something maybe a possum got into the area and pulled everything apart. It looked like a murder scene. Pieces of mouse trap in mice were everywhere. At that point I decided to tent each container in hardware cloth.
We have tried so many things to get rid of rodents. We mixed half a cup of plaster of Paris with a cup of all purpose flower. That worked great for a few months, then moved onto a large 5 gallon bucket with 4 inches of water, cover the top with black sunflower seeds. Again, worked great for a few weeks. It is not fun removing them, but works.
Stop by our forum here Free Plant N Garden Stands Org

Last edited:
Guess what, Paris, Maine is on our global map. (Free Plant N Garden Stands)
Zone 5 is waking up, Yay.

Attachments

• 271CD52E-865B-41F4-A90B-174DE35A2F67.jpeg
    271CD52E-865B-41F4-A90B-174DE35A2F67.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 1
  • F04C0759-8950-4A05-9959-AAB014287F9A.jpeg
    F04C0759-8950-4A05-9959-AAB014287F9A.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 1
  • FD282BD1-C1FD-4F6E-8CF5-1552C9DF86CA.jpeg
    FD282BD1-C1FD-4F6E-8CF5-1552C9DF86CA.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1

Back