Your favorite cole slaw, please

Quote:
Recipe please?
pop.gif

I found this recipe on Foodnetwork.com and just made it yesterday. My wife and I both really liked it. We ate it with and on some sandwhiches that I made with some fresh deer sausage that I had also just made.

Spicy Slaw
Ingredients
1 head green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 red chile, sliced
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon cayan pepper
Pinch sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Combine the cabbage, carrot, red onion, green onions, and chile in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, cayan pepper and sugar; stirring to incorporate. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss gently to mix. Season the cole slaw with celery seed, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Chill for 2 hours in refrigerator before serving.

KFC Coleslaw

I can't tell you amounts, because it varies on the quantity you make and I don't measure. I just keep sampling and adding till it's just right. And yes, I use a clean spoon every time.
big_smile.png

Just taste it and you can tell if you need more vinegar or sugar. Depending on how "wet" you like the slaw will determine how much mayo you start with.

You really can not mess this up!! Just fiddle with the 3 ingredients in the dressing until you like it.

Shredded Green Cabbage Any amount

Shredded Carrot (As much/little as you like. Too many will tint your slaw orange)

Mayo (NOT Miracle Whip!) a half of a cup or more

White Vinegar a small splash

Sugar start with a small spoonful and add more if needed.

My coleslaw recipe is loosely based on a KFC copy cat recipe I found on the web several years ago. I am not good at measuring but the dressing will be enough to serve 6 -8 I believe.

Finely chop green cabbage (about 1/2 of a medium size head)
Add chopped or grated carrots, broccoli, purple cabbage, bell peppers (any color), radishes, celery. Add any of these you like, all of them if desired. You can add a little bit of broccoli or equal amt to cabbage.

Add finely minced onion approx 2 Tbsp.

Mix the following: (approximate measures)
1/3 to 1/2 cup mayo (homemade is great but this does not work well with miracle whip)
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 TBS sugar
1 - 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs milk
salt and pepper to taste

Mix with fork, whip or shake in jar with a lid until smooth. Taste for sweetness and add more vinegar if too sweet, more sugar if too tart.
Pour over veggies and mix well.

This is not heavy on the mayo and should taste neutral to sweet, not tart. If you like more mayo you can use more.
You could add a little dijon mustard when mixing the dressing if you like, especially good with hot dogs.

Back
Top Bottom