Worms

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
I was working in my yard the other day and gathered up a handful of earthworms. I took them over to my 2 month old chicks and scattered them on the ground and they went nuts!

My girls made noises I'd never heard before.
lol.png
They were running around, chasing each other, pulling the worms in half, fighting, squawking......it was so hilarious!
big_smile.png
Great entertainment for an otherwise boring day.

Hi, just try not to give them too many worms... they can give your chickens internal parasites.
sad.png
Just to let ya know.
smile.png

I know it's lots of fun to watch them, if you are able to buy some mealworms or crickets.

Miriam

Last edited:
I second what Bayouchica said- earthworms are a potential source of internal parasites. Gut-loaded crickets, however, are a great treat.

I third it about the earthworms.

I pick grass and put it in with mine before they are old enough to get outside, they are scared to death of it at first, but then they run around & try to take the bits away from each other. Sometimes I tear old bread up and feed it to them too. Once they taste it, they love it.

Jean

I have only had my chickens and 1 duck for about a month now.. and I used my mealworms that I have for my lizard and threw a few in the coop to see what they would do.. my husband, I, and our 8 kids has better entertainment then any darn tv or game systems.. and to watch the duck flop around in the kiddie pool is a crack up too!.. question though. If I do give mealworms.. how much is too much? (crickets also) or is there too much. .every evening we love to sit and watch them play.. and the worms make it so much more entertaining!

New to the group,
Tina:D

i give my 4-5 week old chicks mealworms all the time. When I buy the mealworms(petco) I take and sift the worms out of the bran theyre in and fill the container with the chick starter. then the worms are really just little sacks of chick food. The worms are definatly eating the starter because after about a day they are like little balloons compared to when they were bought.
I keep many reptiles, and know the benefits of"GUT-LOADING". Otherwise worms and bugs(that are purchased from stores) are usually of no nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom