Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey everybody, anybody!
I am from Clintonville, live about 6 miles east of it, actually.....just got my self 6 hens, I know 2 of them are Delawares, no clue on the others. I am having a great time with them. Just have a tractor coop and running my legs off going out to check them cause I am a really nervous mother. I got them on Sat 25th. One little girl is the only one laying. Sunday she gave me two eggs, and today so far, she has laid one. I have a chair out there by the coop and me and my dog (small, bug eyed breed) go sit, I drink coffee and we watch the hens. So great at my advanced age of 70 I have the opportunity to get chickens....would like to hear from folks around this area of WI and see what you have and how many. Since I am new to this, maybe I could get smarter from you.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

The carnage continues. Partly my fault as I felt sorry for them all cooped up in such beautiful weather. I led them with treats to the back yard and two just wouldn't go in no matter what I tried. When I went back to check on them later I found feathers all over. The two holdouts were gone and those inside the back yard fence were quietly hiding in the bushes behind the building.

The hubs went out there with a rifle and the dog and he found one of the hens hiding in the wood pile still alive but missing a lot of feathers and scratched up. The dog is on the trail of something. Tomorrow I'm sitting out there with the rifle in my lap.

Wayne thinks the injured hen will make it but she is pretty banged up. Pictures coming.

What should I do to ease her injuries?

frow.gif
hi to all you newbies ,, so glad you are here..
wee.gif

good news, bad news..

bad news , tractor and rototiller both quit on me,,
good news, I cleaned out the whole fuel system of the tiller, even took the gas tank off and cleaned it out.. now it starts and runs like new..
bad news, the tractor is still sitting in garden #1..
good news, I think I know what is wrong with it..the tiller gas tank had lots of water in it. I used the same gas for the tractor.. will take a crack at it tomorrow..
bad news,, the tractor has 8 gallons of watery gas to drain.
good news, I got the whole garden #2 rototilled.. maybe I will get some taters planted tomorrow..
bad news, have a ton of rocks to pick first..

good news, I found a flock of about 12 adult guineas to buy.. hopefully will pick them up wednesday night..
good news, have about 10 baby guineas.. Dan E. doesn't want them so I can keep them..
bad news, I don't have a brooder set up for them yet..

.........jiminwisc.......

So sorry for everyone's losses... Welcome newbies. I'm fairly new too. I have eggs in the bator due May 5 for a friend that I hope will hatch. I just got some shipped eggs in today. First time trying shipped eggs. Wiggly air cells. They are resting now. Will see how that goes. Broilers coming the 5th also. Run for the second coop is nearly done. Staining and painting this week to be ready for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom