Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

• Avian influenza viruses do not normally infect humans, but human cases have occurred.
  • Illnesses in humans from avian influenza virus infections have ranged in severity from mild to severe.
  • Human infections with avian influenza viruses have most often occurred after contact with infected birds or their secretions or excretions.
  • Three prominent subtypes of avian influenza A viruses are known to infect people (H5, H7 and H9 viruses).
Avian influenza A H5 viruses
  • Sporadic H5 virus infection of humans, such as with Asian-origin highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) A (H5N1) viruses currently circulating among poultry in Asia and the Middle East have been reported in 16 countries, often resulting in severe pneumonia with approximately 60% mortality worldwide. (The H5N1 virus isolated from a U.S. wild bird is a new mixed-origin virus (a reassortant) that is genetically different from the Asian-origin avian H5N1 viruses that have caused human infections with high mortality in several other countries (notably in Asia and Africa). No human infections with this new reassortant H5N1 virus have been reported, but CDC has developed interim guidance on testing and prophylaxis.)
  • Visit the WHO web site to view the latest monthly report of the cumulative number of confirmed human cases of infection with HPAI H5N1 viruses reported to World Health Organization.
  • On January 8, 2014, the first case of a human infection with H5N1 in the Americas was reported in Canada in a traveler returning from China.
Avian influenza A H7 viruses
Avian influenza A H9 viruses
  • Rare, sporadic H9N2 virus infections of humans have been reported. Infection generally causes mild upper respiratory tract illness.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/avian-flu-summary.htm
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...ctions_by_states/ct_hpai_detections_wisconsin

WI Juneau Mississippi BackyardMixed Poultry EA/AM-H5N2 20-Apr-15 33 chickens
and on april 20th at 544pm i got the call with the info
they got sick went to the hospital and then officials went to their farm and shortly after the birds were confirmed with the bird flu....any other questions...or do you need more proof

I was actually asking for pure curiosity not to spark any outrage...I don't think you're spreading rumors. I just wanted to read it for myself (which thank you for posting) Juneau is not very far from me so I would like to keep myself as updated on this as possible. Jefferson is even closer yet. So when I read a family possibly had this flu it sparked a bit of concern. Reading further I'm not as concerned as it could be anything that they had. We won't really know because like you said, medical records are not public.

Spoke with one Scientist State Vet and another State Vet this week and this is the info I was given. Waiting on a few more calls back from Scientists who have been working with the disease and vaccine since 2004.

So what I got is. Incucabtion period is 2-8 days, Clinical signs after exposure are 48-72 hours, It can live outside of host under the 53-65 deg F temps but cannot multiply or grow. It's only "airborne" the distance of the sneeze if it's expelled that way otherwise in the poop. Can survive for a few months in cold temps but only a few hours in temps above the 53-65 deg(say the middle of the manure pile temp is lower and the outside is the 65) Reimbursement their is a set price for production birds but for exhibition and such their is an appraiser and you have to apply and go thru the Indemnity process.

I hope some of that answers some questions
The only way to contact it is to come in direct contact with it in a liquid for, say mucous, water infected and via poop.
contract*

Goodness, I got busy at work this week and missed a ton.

My guard gnome is sleeping on the job.

The doors are on, and the roosts are in, but I'm having DH alter them a bit to be lower. Windows still need to be cut in, but we're getting close!
We have the inspector coming for final approval this Thursday, and will possibly try to get my chickens next weekend!

This weekend we're celebrating my youngest's 2nd birthday. Cooking up a nice shrimp alfredo dinner, spinach and berry salad, and flourless chocolate cake.

Goodness, I got busy at work this week and missed a ton.

My guard gnome is sleeping on the job.

The doors are on, and the roosts are in, but I'm having DH alter them a bit to be lower. Windows still need to be cut in, but we're getting close!
We have the inspector coming for final approval this Thursday, and will possibly try to get my chickens next weekend!

This weekend we're celebrating my youngest's 2nd birthday. Cooking up a nice shrimp alfredo dinner, spinach and berry salad, and flourless chocolate cake.
The coop is looking good! Happy birthday to your youngest!! What time is dinner??

Afternoon All...Give your Son a high five for the great bifecta harvest....it had to be a ton of fun. Still working here on calling one for my daughter...tough here for some strange reason. Tom's are alone and not strutting...maybe tomorrow will be the morning for her.

You have a kind heart frenchie..I'm sure the clinic is more than happy for your help.

Stay Safe... bigz

Spoke with one Scientist State Vet and another State Vet this week and this is the info I was given. Waiting on a few more calls back from Scientists who have been working with the disease and vaccine since 2004.

So what I got is. Incucabtion period is 2-8 days, Clinical signs after exposure are 48-72 hours, It can live outside of host under the 53-65 deg F temps but cannot multiply or grow. It's only "airborne" the distance of the sneeze if it's expelled that way otherwise in the poop. Can survive for a few months in cold temps but only a few hours in temps above the 53-65 deg(say the middle of the manure pile temp is lower and the outside is the 65) Reimbursement their is a set price for production birds but for exhibition and such their is an appraiser and you have to apply and go thru the Indemnity process.

I hope some of that answers some questions
The only way to contact it is to come in direct contact with it in a liquid for, say mucous, water infected and via poop.
contract*
This sounds like we all need to pray for some warm unseasonably hot temps... This March weather in the end of April is much like when my daughter was born 25 years ago.... Thought I had planned for a great maternity leave LOL
Brett... I am trying to explain to Gary that maybe we need to alter our walks and head up into the woods instead of down to the pond. Suppose I could just make a 1-5% solution of bleach water and spray the boots....

This sounds like we all need to pray for some warm unseasonably hot temps... This March weather in the end of April is much like when my daughter was born 25 years ago.... Thought I had planned for a great maternity leave LOL
Brett... I am trying to explain to Gary that maybe we need to alter our walks and head up into the woods instead of down to the pond. Suppose I could just make a 1-5% solution of bleach water and spray the boots....
momg, you could have a designated pair of boots just for going out by your chickens. Or keep a bag of plastic bags by the door to slip over your shoes/boots when you head out to the coop. Then turn them inside out & toss. That might be the safest option. Just a thought.
hu.gif

I tell my mom to do that if she has to come take care of the birds if it is muddy. She is notorious for wearing unsensible shoes.
roll.png

I lived and worked on a stable during an outbreak of a really nasty equine virus many years ago, and we used footbaths. A shallow dish big enough to step in, with a bleach solution. Swish your boots around each time you left the barn.

And of course washing with serious soap, rinsing down all equipment with a mild bleach solution, etc.

I lived and worked on a stable during an outbreak of a really nasty equine virus many years ago, and we used footbaths. A shallow dish big enough to step in, with a bleach solution. Swish your boots around each time you left the barn.

And of course washing with serious soap, rinsing down all equipment with a mild bleach solution, etc.
when I talked to Sunnyside hatchery , the guy told my that they used a foot bath like that..

the final tally is 23 chicks out of 120 eggs.. the lady was not pleased at all with the hatch,,
I think she blamed me for the poor %tage .. If it was something wrong with my bator, then explain the 23 successes .. Annie cracked open a couple of the eggs, clear as a bell.. she is going to go through them after I take them out of the bator tomorrow..

OK, here is your tough assignment,, there are supposed to be two males in the bunch,,

I have my suspects, but I might have to go by the process of elimination,, I will cancel out the quackers ..

I will take some better pictures after I move them into the peacock pen..

they are getting tamer each day,, today is the first time they came to the water while I was still in the coop..

........jiminwisc.........

Brett... I am trying to explain to Gary that maybe we need to alter our walks and head up into the woods instead of down to the pond. Suppose I could just make a      1-5% solution of bleach water and spray the boots....
. I was thinking the same. As soon as the sun comes out and things warm up it should slow down. I hope.

Back
Top Bottom