will they fly away?

applebutter14

Songster
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Iowa
i have 3 call ducks and they are molting, 1 has finished and the others are almost done and only need their wing feathers, my question was its getting to be fall and its going to get colder and i was wondering if when my call ducks get their wing feathers will they fly away for the winter? i don't want to cut their wings because i show them.

i have 3 call ducks and they are molting, 1 has finished and the others are almost done and only need their wing feathers, my question was its getting to be fall and its going to get colder and i was wondering if when my call ducks get their wing feathers will they fly away for the winter? i don't want to cut their wings because i show them.

Call ducks aren't migratory, so they won't fly away for that reason, but they do sometimes fly away. The most common reasons for Call ducks flying away are that they don't know where they live, they're being chased by a predator, or they're looking for a mate during mating season. I doubt the last reason is very common, but I've seen some anecdotal mentions of it.

We don't clip our Calls, and they never even come close to flying away. They do fly around our yard, some more than others, but they only very occasionally even get close to the boundaries of the yard (about 1.25 acres). Only a couple of them that really like to fly have done that, and it seems to startle them when they realize they're that far away from the house, so they come flying or waddling right back as fast as their little feet can carry them.

Call ducks aren't migratory, so they won't fly away for that reason, but they do sometimes fly away. The most common reasons for Call ducks flying away are that they don't know where they live, they're being chased by a predator, or they're looking for a mate during mating season. I doubt the last reason is very common, but I've seen some anecdotal mentions of it.

We don't clip our Calls, and they never even come close to flying away. They do fly around our yard, some more than others, but they only very occasionally even get close to the boundaries of the yard (about 1.25 acres). Only a couple of them that really like to fly have done that, and it seems to startle them when they realize they're that far away from the house, so they come flying or waddling right back as fast as their little feet can carry them.

I dunno, I don't like risking it, personally. If you remember, Lacrystol lost her ENTIRE FLOCK when they flew the coop two years ago and she's still trying to build up her numbers! And I've even seen low-quality or perhaps hybrid calls mixed in with wild mallards around spring when the migrations come home, the poor things. They're about as equipped to handle the wilderness as I am. Which is to say, not at all. Besides, SQ calls aren't cheap. If even one flies off, that's a net loss of up to $200!

To the OP: What's your setup like? I know clipping is an automatic DQ for show birds (which if you ask me is a dumb rule, the safety of the birds should be paramount) but do they free range or are they in an enclosed run? If the latter, perhaps you could invest in some mosquito netting to canopy the area so they can't fly off? Could be great for discouraging predatory birds, too. :)

Last edited:
I dunno, I don't like risking it, personally. If you remember, Lacrystol lost her ENTIRE FLOCK when they flew the coop two years ago and she's still trying to build up her numbers! And I've even seen low-quality or perhaps hybrid calls mixed in with wild mallards around spring when the migrations come home, the poor things. They're about as equipped to handle the wilderness as I am. Which is to say, not at all. Besides, SQ calls aren't cheap. If even one flies off, that's a net loss of up to $200!

To the OP: What's your setup like? I know clipping is an automatic DQ for show birds (which if you ask me is a dumb rule, the safety of the birds should be paramount) but do they free range or are they in an enclosed run? If the latter, perhaps you could invest in some mosquito netting to canopy the area so they can't fly off? Could be great for discouraging predatory birds, too. :)

I vaguely remember something about @Lacrystol losing hers but can't remember the details. I was thinking it was a predator attack or illness or something like that.

And yes, I should have asked the OP about conditions at her place. Sometimes, especially when I'm short of time, I mistakenly assume conditions are the same as ours and that the Calls are out of their pens only when they have at least some amount of supervision. I'd certainly never recommend they be left out while the owners are at work or even at the grocery store for a short time. I don't let ours out during the day even though I work from home because it's far too common for me to get caught up in a crisis at work where I can't at least check on them frequently. Ours are out of their pens on weeknights after the hubby gets home and all day on the weekends and holidays.

what you could do is the show man cut where you cut all the feathers on one wing but the first 3 . it gives the show look still.

frow.gif
Buff! LTNTT!

Is that for me or for the OP? I'm thinking that any clipping is a disqualification for show, but I'd have to check the book to be sure about that.

Hi JADE!!!!!!!!
smile.png

the guy who checks and gives out the npip cards told us about the show mans clip. idk if im right i stopped showing my ducks after the avian flu outbreak across the country so i dont know if it is ok. i just thought i would share it I'll have to check with a judge next time i go to a show but he did say it was fine.

I vaguely remember something about @Lacrystol losing hers but can't remember the details. I was thinking it was a predator attack or illness or something like that.

And yes, I should have asked the OP about conditions at her place. Sometimes, especially when I'm short of time, I mistakenly assume conditions are the same as ours and that the Calls are out of their pens only when they have at least some amount of supervision. I'd certainly never recommend they be left out while the owners are at work or even at the grocery store for a short time. I don't let ours out during the day even though I work from home because it's far too common for me to get caught up in a crisis at work where I can't at least check on them frequently. Ours are out of their pens on weeknights after the hubby gets home and all day on the weekends and holidays.

Ya! Well, I mean, I don't have that problem, heh. But I am also a weirdo who keeps her ducks indoors.
big_smile.png

As for the "show clip", I've honestly never heard of it. If they really let you get away with that, that changes everything!

Back
Top Bottom