Will she loose the toe? Frostbite...

Just an update still looks about the same it's swollen some but has been from the start. The nail is turning sideways and bleeding some. It's nice red blood so she is still getting blood through the black part so maybe she will shed the toenail and the rest will heal. Keeping it unwrapped with Neosporin on it every day. Will soak it and get new pics tonight.

We are in Colorado. We had excessive cold and the heater in the hen house was not adequate. Several had frostbite on combs. One had frostbite on one foot. we brought her into the house and watched her middle toe turn black about halfway up and we kept her in the house for three months in a very large cage with hay and everything and we even tried to make a little orthotic so that there would not be pressure on the foot while she was hobbling around in the cage. We waited another three months after that, so she had been in the house for six months. She would not put any pressure on the foot at all because it was obviously in great pain and we finally decided to cut the toe off which required a pair of tin snips to do it . We felt extremely horrible about it but after we got the tow off (gavel her CBD for pain for several days) and wrapped it tightly with Neosporin and kept it bandaged for two weeks, the redness in the foot and leg went away and she eventually started walking on it like a normal foot. Then we tried to introduce her back into the hens and at that point she was so institutionalized that she was terrified of the other hens and ran to the gate and stood there. ruing out at me to come get her. She lived in the house for three more years and gave me an egg every day and we build her her own chicken yard out in the front yard away from the hens that she was scared of and I would take her out into her own little pen in the front yard in her own little tiny hen house every day except in the cold winter and she would be brought in at night and she was a part of the family just like four cats and three dogs. Her name was Bonnie and she loved sitting on my lap and watching evening news and movies with us. I just held her regularly and rubbed diatomaceous earth down into her skin under her feathers and she loved that. One morning we went in there and she looked like she was asleep but she had died in the night of old age.

We are in Colorado. We had excessive cold and the heater in the hen house was not adequate. Several had frostbite on combs. One had frostbite on one foot. we brought her into the house and watched her middle toe turn black about halfway up and we kept her in the house for three months in a very large cage with hay and everything and we even tried to make a little orthotic so that there would not be pressure on the foot while she was hobbling around in the cage. We waited another three months after that, so she had been in the house for six months. She would not put any pressure on the foot at all because it was obviously in great pain and we finally decided to cut the toe off which required a pair of tin snips to do it . We felt extremely horrible about it but after we got the tow off (gavel her CBD for pain for several days) and wrapped it tightly with Neosporin and kept it bandaged for two weeks, the redness in the foot and leg went away and she eventually started walking on it like a normal foot. Then we tried to introduce her back into the hens and at that point she was so institutionalized that she was terrified of the other hens and ran to the gate and stood there. ruing out at me to come get her. She lived in the house for three more years and gave me an egg every day and we build her her own chicken yard out in the front yard away from the hens that she was scared of and I would take her out into her own little pen in the front yard in her own little tiny hen house every day except in the cold winter and she would be brought in at night and she was a part of the family just like four cats and three dogs. Her name was Bonnie and she loved sitting on my lap and watching evening news and movies with us. I just held her regularly and rubbed diatomaceous earth down into her skin under her feathers and she loved that. One morning we went in there and she looked like she was asleep but she had died in the night of old age.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about Bonnie, sounds like she was very much loved.

Back
Top Bottom