Will chicken Poop Kill the grass

Want2BFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
PA
I moved my cornish rocks into the tractor this weekend and they have been sitting in the same area of the tractor. After one day I moved the tractor and the area they sit in is covered in poop (you can't even see the grass. Will the grass grow back or are they going to kill my yard little by little?

Your yard will love it. Soon as it rains the damage will be undone, and the tractor grass area will be the best in the yard. Keep-um moving every so often though

I love my lawn and hated what my Cornish X's did to it. Sure it comes back, but it takes some time.
Move it daily, even twice a day and your lawn will get some fertilizer, but not enough to do any (even if reversible) damage.

It will grow back, now that it is spring. But watch out for summer time as the chicken manure is hot and will burn the grass out. Frequent moves can prevent this, sometimes three moves a day are best... or a bigger tractor.

I sometimes rake the manure that has been caked over by the sun to help it along and sometimes even put a couple sprinklers out to help the soil absorb the manure.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to say that every time I fill the waterer I hit all the poo that accumulated around the feeders and waterers daily and so far so go, but we free range so a little different.

Yes if you let it get thick it will kill it and take a while to grow back, so if you have a pretty lawn you will want them to keep moving three to four times a day to lessen the load and damage they will cause.

Be sure to move the pen often if you dont want to lose the grass. What I always did when I pastured poultry was to allow them to mow the grass and then move it. By the time I got back to that spot there was tall grass again for the chickens to eat. They loved it!

If, by kill, you mean "grow like crazy," then YES. Just be sure to move the pen as much as possible (twice a day,) and your grass will be great. If you leave the pen in the same spot, it will kill the lawn.

I always used my hose to "water in" the manure after I moved the tractor. Yes, moving as many as 3 times a day will be necessary to preserve the lawn. I had more trouble with grass being killed by the feed that spilled onto in around the feeder than by the manure.

The biggest problem and the most critical move is first thing at day break. The birds are concentrated all night to one spot and if your going to have any burnouts in spots.... this is where it will happen.

Just move the pen first thing in the morning to avoid a manure overload.

Thank you all so much for the information.....I owe you all a wing or a drumstick come June as long as you help me mow the grass
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom