Will bird netting keep the hawks from killing?

Pics

hannahransom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Lakeside, CA
I want to put my chickens into a paddock system during the day and have them in a more sturdy coop at night. During the day I really just have to worry about hawks here. I was thinking about getting bird netting (the kind you put over a fruit tree) in order to keep the hawks away. In addition I have trees and will hopefully be making a coop that has a part they can go under, as well. Will the bird netting be fine? Definitely don't want predator losses!

The fruit tree bird netting works pretty well- I saw a hawk bounce off it once trying to get one of my silkies.

However, I have read horror stories of how if they dive fast enough they can break the netting. So it isn't foolproof.

But it works much better than nothing and I'd sure recommend putting up something for them if hawks will take them out. You are in CA but if you get snow and are up in the mtns. then remember that netting will come right down with snow. I use mine for babies growing out sometimes and take it down in the fall.

No snow, I'm in a mild San Diego area.

That's what I was wondering, if they could rip it or somehow still kill the chickens through it, but maybe not be able to take their kill with them.

The are that they are in is the orchard, so there are trees, but most of the trees are still young and aren't going to do much protecting!

No snow, I'm in a mild San Diego area.

That's what I was wondering, if they could rip it or somehow still kill the chickens through it, but maybe not be able to take their kill with them.

The are that they are in is the orchard, so there are trees, but most of the trees are still young and aren't going to do much protecting!

Hawks will eat the chicken on the ground if too large to carry off. It really depends on how determined they are. Some folks have a lot of trouble and some don't. I have noticed not as many hawks around here lately since the crows moved in.

I think if you have something that the hawks can see better than bird netting you will deter them. I read in a book called "Fresh Air Poultry Houses" about putting up twine space about 6 in. apart to keep hawks from getting chick raised outside in a large run. I was thinking about doing that myself. I have had a few problems over the last few months with hawks.

you could also try the green fabric plastic fence, its very flexable and wont break as easily as the bird mesh, I have it as part of the roof on my makeshift pen for now. The rest is burlap held with supports, its working pretty well, The hawk has visited us every night and just sits in the tree waiting. You can weave the pieces together to make it stronger insteand of having individual pieces set in place. gl

It should stop the hawks and owls, but it won't stop anything else. Coyotes, raccoons, dogs, will all go right through it.

The area would have to be completely enclosed. It doesn't work to put netting over the top and have the sides open so the hawks can just walk in.

A big plus, if those are fruit trees, it will stop the tweeties from ruining your fruit crop and stealing your poultry feed.

It will slow them down. I had netting hung loosely over a run and attached to a tree with clothpins and zip ties.The hawk swooped down,but the netting went down to the ground with it instead of breaking.If it were tight the hawk would have ripped through it.So I recommend a little loose.

I have twine strung over my pen. I got the idea from this forum!
smile.png

That keeps the large hawks away, but lately, I've had problems with a Cooper's hawk. Two attacks in the last week - it gets in the pen because it drops through the holes (I have to reinforce them again)- but my huge Jersey Giant roo attacked it before it hurt my girls. The two hens the SOB attacked escaped, luckily, with superficial cuts on their combs.

As everyone already said, having something up to deter hawks is better than nothing.

i use 2 inch chicken wire over the top of my pens....I haven't had any problems with hawks or any other predatory birds since the bobcat started defending them and I do have a pair of bald eagles nesting at the edge of my property, tho I think they don't mess with the chickens as I've seen them grab squirrels close to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom