Wild duckling help!

Jessica010

Chirping
Sep 22, 2018
South Island, New Zealand
Hi there!
My partner brought home a duckling he found all alone in a paddock today and I have never raised birds let alone a duck and I'm so scared it'll die! I've heard they can die quite easily! I currently have baby chicken crumble which i have soaked in water, cat food biscuits also soaked in water and I did have mushed up peas but I'm scared the husks wont be good for it! I'd say it' a week old? Help! What else can I feed it/ how do i keep this little one alive??
Any insight would be great!
Jess

I live in a small rural town too, but there is a city within an hour drive from me.
It's best to have two ducks as they are a flock animal. The chick feed is fine, but since it is a wild duckling, it most likely will refuse it due to never having to eat it. It has been sustaining itself on bugs and greens in the natural environment.
It's best to call around. I would start with the DNR as ours runs the local parks and they have access to wildlife rehabbers.

Last edited:
BYC Welcome 7.jpg

I've never raised ducks either (just chickens) but there are a lot of members on BYC that have. The duck forum people will help you out.

Best of luck!

Can we see a picture? Stray duckling might not be a wild duckling, especially if you're near other houses. There were a couple of stray Rouens in one town I've been to, and they're definitely not wild ducks, even if they were living without being kept.

Assuming you're going to be at least trying to feed him until you find a rehabber, and realising that you might not find one:

Oats = Bad. Too little protein, and nowhere near enough other nutrients. The vet who recommended them doesn't have any idea what he's talking about, unless he only recommended them as a supplement.

Peas are a great supplement/treat, but I would try to get him to eat chick feed as his main diet. You don't want to wet it, or you want to put a lot of water into it; unlike chickens, ducks can't peck into the feed (they're much better and scoop and shovel), and it turns into a solid block rather quickly, if you don't add enough water. Instead, maybe drop some pieces into a dish of water and see if he'll go for them.

At a week old, he probably doesn't need much heat so long as the inside of your house is above 70 F. A hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket won't hurt him, mind you.

If you do have to keep him, another duckling, or even a few chicks to keep him company, would be a good idea. Ducks are extremely social animals.

Good luck.

Do you know what breed of duckling you have?

If it is indeed wild: In the wild, ducklings are insectivores. I highly recommend getting live mealworms or small crickets as movement will stimulate its appetite. I would keep crumbles available, but your main priority should be just getting it started on a good diet. Wood ducklings are extremely hard to get started, but I've had excellent luck with live mealworms and crickets. As stated above, ducklings are extremely social and need companionship, so if possible it would be best for it to have a friend.

What a kind thing to do and take this task on. I hope everything will work out and best wishes. Keep us posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom