Why won't my hen sit on her eggs?

The hen needs to be broody first. Broodiness is triggered by hormones and it can happen any time, or never. Unfortunately you cannot make a hen go broody, you can only encourage her by leaving some "bait" eggs in the box for her and see if she falls for it. I've had some success with that method myself and I know people who had a lot of success, but it depends on the individual hen and in some cases the breed. For example Silkies are notoriously broody and needs little encouragement, some other breeds seldom, if ever, goes broody. Some hens are also more prone to broodiness than others. I'd suggest collecting the eggs she's laying now and replace them with golf balls or fake eggs if you want to try and encourage her. You should also discourage their sleeping in the boxes. Rather make some perches for them to roost on and encourage them to use those instead. Place them on the perches yourself in the evenings, if needed and block access to the boxes until they learn.
My hen just laid her first two eggs. They felt cold; I haven't seen her sitting on them but she has covered them up. She is also up on the perch and not sitting on them. Should I just leave them be? I thought I had 2 roosters; but now I know I do have one hen. My rooster is a Silkie and my hen is a Seabright

My hen just laid her first two eggs. They felt cold; I haven't seen her sitting on them but she has covered them up. She is also up on the perch and not sitting on them. Should I just leave them be? I thought I had 2 roosters; but now I know I do have one hen. My rooster is a Silkie and my hen is a Seabright

You should pick up the eggs and eat them. Even if you want to hatch, 1) your hen isn't broody so will not hatch these, and leaving eggs sitting around unnecessarily risks breakage and 2) not ideal to incubate/hatch pullet eggs as they're not big enough to allow for optimal chick development.

Back
Top Bottom