WHY ROOSTERS

A neighbor recently moved into the adjacent county 2 acre lot directly behind my zoned single family residential development. They establish a 'poultry farm' consisting of 4 rooster amongst 50 chickens, 6 guinea hens, 4 pheasants, and 20 ducks....with a large stagnant pool. fleas and flies are now numerous, rats are probable, and then there's noise. I'll spare you all the details about 4 roosters in constant crowing all days beginning 4am. I am here in SEQUIM, Washington. There is no ordinance against roosters because the area thinks of itself as an agricultural area...although they placed a 118 house development (among many developments) in the county without establishing ANY ordinance regulating roosters. The development has been here 20 years. the 'poultry farm' 18 months. Yet, I am forced to listen to 3 to 4 rooster crow (at approx. 90 decibels) every day and have no recourse per Clallam County, wa.
IF any of you can provide any insights i am all ears. thanks. t

A neighbor recently moved into the adjacent county 2 acre lot directly behind my zoned single family residential development. They establish a 'poultry farm' consisting of 4 rooster amongst 50 chickens, 6 guinea hens, 4 pheasants, and 20 ducks....with a large stagnant pool. fleas and flies are now numerous, rats are probable, and then there's noise. I'll spare you

A neighbor recently moved into the adjacent county 2 acre lot directly behind my zoned single family residential development. They establish a 'poultry farm' consisting of 4 rooster amongst 50 chickens, 6 guinea hens, 4 pheasants, and 20 ducks....with a large stagnant pool. fleas and flies are now numerous, rats are probable, and then there's noise. I'll spare you all the details about 4 roosters in constant crowing all days beginning 4am. I am here in SEQUIM, Washington. There is no ordinance against roosters because the area thinks of itself as an agricultural area...although they placed a 118 house development (among many developments) in the county without establishing ANY ordinance regulating roosters. The development has been here 20 years. the 'poultry farm' 18 months. Yet, I am forced to listen to 3 to 4 rooster crow (at approx. 90 decibels) every day and have no recourse per Clallam County, wa.
IF any of you can provide any insights i am all ears. thanks. t
I use to live in the area you're talking about and before that farm was a chicken farm it was private animal rescue and much louder. Also if you live in Sequim you will know that we have chickens right in the center of town also. People of Sequim love the environment and nature. I doubt you were going to get all of us to change our ideology especially when most of us moved here for that very reason. Don't get me wrong my family has been here since the 80s. The people of Sequim are also the ones fighting the newcomers moving our elk herd. The newcomers have insisted that over half the herd be helicoptered to the end of the peninsula because they walk across the fields on the path they have been using for hundreds of years. I suggest that people understand an area before they buy in that area and if they are on the path of the elk herd either accept that or don't buy the piece of property.

I live in Sequim as well as my family and extended family. We like it this way. Best to understand a community before you move in.
Or at least check the zoning!!!

Some people demand the **freedom** to tell others how to use their property - its called an HOA. When they move to an area without them, they often complain bitterly about their neighbor's choices in using their own properties.

Others demand the freedom to use their property any damned well they please - and crow just as loudly when they discover the HOA rules, or take a glance at their zoning ordinances.

A home is likely the largest investment most people will make during their lives - a choice most will make repeatedly. They invest years of income into it, and days, weeks, or months home searching - but likely less than an hour on zoning and the HOA (if any).

I don't understand it. Truly nonsensical to me.

I think it will be particularly funny come September when the geese migrate! There is a field behind the same housing community that hundreds of geese use as a resting area for three days during migration. You want to talk loud! Those geese are much louder! Good luck! ( I personally loved it but I also live in town and have chickens)

I haven’t been to Sequim but I know it’s agricultural. Paul Gautschi, the Back to Eden guy, is from there and I know he has many chickens.

Nonetheless, I am one of those who lives in the suburbs, really wants a rooster but isn’t allowed to because of laws, and is looking to move to an area where I could raise whatever animals I want. Not trying to change my neighbors because I know they’re city people. So before I move, I will make damn sure I can own roosters or whatever other livestock since it’s so important to me. I find it inconsiderate to move to an area and try to change the way people have been living for decades. Especially rural areas that produce the food that we all consume. Few city people know what it takes to grow food and raise animals for food these days and they need to learn.

There’s no limit to these things. In my area, the remote workers are now complaining about leaf blowers because the noise is disturbing them, and they’re trying to outlaw them. Last I checked, the leaf blowers were there for a long time before remote working was a big thing.

We live in E. WA. We have a lot of people who moved here from Seattle. After moving here they complain about the military jet noise. Jets have been flying her for the 27 years I have been here. But the people moving in don't ask first.

As a rooster owner who is now dealing with the county after someone complained, I can say that I would have greatly appreciated the offended neighbor talk to me first.

I love my little roo who I raised from a chick. He's my lap buddy. He loves dried shrimp and getting pets on his eye ridges - puts him to sleep every time! He does a great job protecting my hens from hawks (and airplanes and mourning doves and falling leaves). We are allowed roosters where I am staying. But now because ONE person complained about my rooster ALL of the roosters in the neighborhood are being forced out. If the neighbor had let me know my guy was bothering him/her, I would have figured something out to make the neighbor happy and spared everyone else. I'm going to try to keep him in the house as a house rooster, but my girls will be sad and unable to free range because of the hawks that roam our area.

PLEASE talk to your neighbors.

And to answer your question: Roosters are beautiful, intelligent, curious beings who are important for protecting flocks from predators. That's why roosters.
x2 suck it up.

Back
Top Bottom