WHY ROOSTERS

peace out

Hatching
Apr 15, 2020
A neighbor recently moved into the adjacent county 2 acre lot directly behind my zoned single family residential development. They establish a 'poultry farm' consisting of 4 rooster amongst 50 chickens, 6 guinea hens, 4 pheasants, and 20 ducks....with a large stagnant pool. fleas and flies are now numerous, rats are probable, and then there's noise. I'll spare you all the details about 4 roosters in constant crowing all days beginning 4am. I am here in SEQUIM, Washington. There is no ordinance against roosters because the area thinks of itself as an agricultural area...although they placed a 118 house development (among many developments) in the county without establishing ANY ordinance regulating roosters. The development has been here 20 years. the 'poultry farm' 18 months. Yet, I am forced to listen to 3 to 4 rooster crow (at approx. 90 decibels) every day and have no recourse per Clallam County, wa.
IF any of you can provide any insights i am all ears. thanks. t

A neighbor recently moved into the adjacent county 2 acre lot directly behind my zoned single family residential development. They establish a 'poultry farm' consisting of 4 rooster amongst 50 chickens, 6 guinea hens, 4 pheasants, and 20 ducks....with a large stagnant pool. fleas and flies are now numerous, rats are probable, and then there's noise. I'll spare you all the details about 4 roosters in constant crowing all days beginning 4am. I am here in SEQUIM, Washington. There is no ordinance against roosters because the area thinks of itself as an agricultural area...although they placed a 118 house development (among many developments) in the county without establishing ANY ordinance regulating roosters. The development has been here 20 years. the 'poultry farm' 18 months. Yet, I am forced to listen to 3 to 4 rooster crow (at approx. 90 decibels) every day and have no recourse per Clallam County, wa.
IF any of you can provide any insights i am all ears. thanks. t
Before stepping on your neighbor’s toes and throwing them under the bus with authorities and or the city/town, can you talk to your neighbors? Maybe they will get rid of a couple and give you some free eggs????

As a rooster owner who is now dealing with the county after someone complained, I can say that I would have greatly appreciated the offended neighbor talk to me first.

I love my little roo who I raised from a chick. He's my lap buddy. He loves dried shrimp and getting pets on his eye ridges - puts him to sleep every time! He does a great job protecting my hens from hawks (and airplanes and mourning doves and falling leaves). We are allowed roosters where I am staying. But now because ONE person complained about my rooster ALL of the roosters in the neighborhood are being forced out. If the neighbor had let me know my guy was bothering him/her, I would have figured something out to make the neighbor happy and spared everyone else. I'm going to try to keep him in the house as a house rooster, but my girls will be sad and unable to free range because of the hawks that roam our area.

PLEASE talk to your neighbors.

And to answer your question: Roosters are beautiful, intelligent, curious beings who are important for protecting flocks from predators. That's why roosters.

That is a lot of birds on a 2 acre lot. I'd be more concerned about the stink and rats than the roosters crowing, but roosters don't bother me. I prefer them to dogs that sit outside barking all day, and night.
Agree with other posters. Maybe try talking to them first about your concerns to see if you all could reach a compromise.

if your county considers itself an agricultural area...... then its an agricultural area. what is the point of moving to an agricultural area just to be agitated by people owning... livestock.

consider talking to the neighbors. there are quick solutions to crowing such as the no-crow collar (simple velcro around the neck of the rooster, makes the crow quieter). our neighbor complained about our animals in a rural area instead of talking to us.. dog warden would come, check conditions, say that everything is fine because its a rural area... nothing changed lol. then all the other neighbors got roosters. then they moved out.

a stagnant pool with ducks doesn't spawn lots of mosquitoes, because ducks skim the water, and as a result, they eat the mosquito larvae. guinea hens are commonly used for controlling tick populations in yards to reduce the prevalence of Lyme disease. birds are not a source of fleas that bite humans or dogs.

if manure is improperly disposed of and allowed to pile, then flies can reproduce in number. but you can ask them to hang traps and the problem is taken care of. if food is stored properly, then rats are not an issue either. chickens and guinea hens are also known to hunt mice, i've seen my hens catch quite a few. really i don't see any issue with this aside from a large number of birds on a 2 acre lot.

Back
Top Bottom