Why is fluid coming out of my chicken when I tilt her?

Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, hard or water balloon like?
I think it feels the same as the other chickens? I used a couple hens for reference and if there is a difference it's barely there. Is it supposed to be subtle or very noticeable? I can tell it's not hard but other than underweight she feels similar.

When the problem is advanced you can usually feel bloat. Has she ever been wormed or had fecal done to test for them? A load of parasites could also cause the runny droppings, and weight loss. It can also sometimes cause blockages. If you can't get a fecal done, then I would consider worming her to see if it helps. It's also possible that she has a blockage farther down from something else, or something else going on. Sometimes it's very hard to know what's going on inside. When vet care is an option sometimes imaging can help. But it can be expensive and many vets won't see a chicken.

When the problem is advanced you can usually feel bloat. Has she ever been wormed or had fecal done to test for them? A load of parasites could also cause the runny droppings, and weight loss. It can also sometimes cause blockages. If you can't get a fecal done, then I would consider worming her to see if it helps. It's also possible that she has a blockage farther down from something else, or something else going on. Sometimes it's very hard to know what's going on inside. When vet care is an option sometimes imaging can help. But it can be expensive and many vets won't see a chicken.
I actually did just worm her yesterday with some ivermectin. No she had never been dewormed before. If that is the issue how long should it be before I notice a difference or should I give another dose at some point?

Ivermectin isn't the best choice, some parasites are becoming resistant to it. It would be better to use Safeguard (either the liquid goat wormer or the horse paste), or Valbazen.
If the issue is parasites, sometimes they will perk up in a day or two, but I've had really sick ones take a week to feel better and start passing more normal droppings. I've had a couple of birds with pretty good blockages from worms.

Ivermectin isn't the best choice, some parasites are becoming resistant to it. It would be better to use Safeguard (either the liquid goat wormer or the horse paste), or Valbazen.
If the issue is parasites, sometimes they will perk up in a day or two, but I've had really sick ones take a week to feel better and start passing more normal droppings. I've had a couple of birds with pretty good blockages from worms.
Would the safeguard for horses be given orally? What is the dosage for that and how long should I wait since she had ivermectin yesterday?

Would the safeguard for horses be given orally? What is the dosage for that and how long should I wait since she had ivermectin yesterday?
Yes, it is safe, and dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days for roundworms, cecal, gape, and capillary worms. Give it once and then in 10 days to treat just roundworms. She does appear ill with her tail down, being puffed up, and poor appetite. She looks like she was pecked pretty good by another hen. I would go ahead and use the wormer since she seems ill.

Just wanted to give an update and say today she is doing tons better and back to regular chicken activities ❤️ I'll keep an eye on her and let her take things slow but so far the flock has welcomed her back without issue
1000008521.jpg

Thank you for the update, and good to hear that she is back to normal.
Yes, it is safe, and dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days for roundworms, cecal, gape, and capillary worms. Give it once and then in 10 days to treat just roundworms. She does appear ill with her tail down, being puffed up, and poor appetite. She looks like she was pecked pretty good by another hen. I would go ahead and use the wormer since she seems ill.
I treated my bantam .5 ml for 5 days. Now it’s 10 days later and I plan to treat again. Is it just a 1 and done or another 5 day regimen. She is still gaping though. She only does this at night I assume because her crop is full. Please advise.

Back
Top Bottom