Whole oat fodder question, please help

That guy Mike

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2016
Muskoka Ontario
Hi and thanks for taking the time to have a look. My question is I have to buy horse feed whole oats on the package it says cleaned and nothing else, I know nothing about horses and would like to know if that bag of oats would sprout. Thanks

Hi and thanks for taking the time to have a look. My question is I have to buy horse feed whole oats on the package it says cleaned and nothing else, I know nothing about horses and would like to know if that bag of oats would sprout. Thanks

I sprout oats for my chickens all the time, along with other various grains and seeds, they LOVE them. As Eggsighted mentioned make sure they are whole and not rolled.

I sprout oats for my chickens all the time, along with other various grains and seeds, they LOVE them. As Eggsighted mentioned make sure they are whole and not rolled.
Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated if I could ask what other grain and seeds do you use? I have tried looking and for the most part I'm finding barley or whole oats with a few black sunflower seeds thrown in. Thanks again

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated if I could ask what other grain and seeds do you use? I have tried looking and for the most part I'm finding barley or whole oats with a few black sunflower seeds thrown in. Thanks again

I've used all kinds of grains and seeds. Now I mostly use what's easily available to me which is whole oats, wild bird seed and a 5 grain game bird feed which contains corn, milo, wheat, popcorn and sunflower seeds. Make sure whatever you use is food grade as seed and grain meant for planting is often treated with chemicals, and whole, not cracked, crimped or rolled, as they won't sprout.

What I do is put the grains in a bucket and cover with water with a few drops of clorox added per gallon. Soak for 24 hours, then drain and rinse thoroughly, dump into a tray or bin type container with small holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, rinse twice a day until sprouts emerge. Some I serve as sprouts and some I let go on to fodder. I only do this for my breeder birds as they are confined to runs and really appreciate the greens, in addition to their pellets. My pastured birds prefer grain and seeds as is.

You can also sprout lentils and peas. People report good results sprouting wheat and the chickens love it.

I don't use bleach. I just soak over night, though it was reported by a reliable source they get better sprouting result on bean items if they only soak for 4 hours. And how long it takes something will depend on your temps. Things grow slow here.

I also usually only rinse twice per day. But have found I get MUCH better growth rate if I rinse more often.

Don't buy the hype that you get 7 times the feed in as many days. I have read a LOT of studies... and water weight doesn't count, dry matter does. But it's still a great enrichment factor and more nutritious than scratch, in addition to being fun to do. :)

I use wheat and barley, BOSS, and millet. Occasionally lentils. (I sprout lentils mostly for myself.) Agreed with previous posters, any seed mix meant for consumption is fine for sprouting. I buy a bag of barley or wheat, and a bag of BOSS every fall. The flock gets sprouts during snow season. Occasionally, feed grain will be heat treated. Whole corn would be an other option. Don't use bird seed mixes which have sunflower chips or cracked corn. I would research milo or sorghum before sprouting that. Some folks have trouble with oats b/c it apparently is more prone to getting moldy or sour.

Without knowing what has or has not been done to these oats makes it impossible for me to advise you. However if the oats still have the seed coat or 'hull' covering the grain then they will likely sprout and grow.

I use wheat and barley, BOSS, and millet. Occasionally lentils. (I sprout lentils mostly for myself.) Agreed with previous posters, any seed mix meant for consumption is fine for sprouting. I buy a bag of barley or wheat, and a bag of BOSS every fall. The flock gets sprouts during snow season. Occasionally, feed grain will be heat treated. Whole corn would be an other option. Don't use bird seed mixes which have sunflower chips or cracked corn. I would research milo or sorghum before sprouting that. Some folks have trouble with oats b/c it apparently is more prone to getting moldy or sour.

Right, I forgot to mention to watch out for cracked corn and hulled sunflower seeds in the wild bird seed. You have to find a blend that's whole seeds only. I wouldn't even bother with the wild bird seed but my chickens like those sprouts the best, and my turkeys especially go crazy over it for some reason.

I sprout lentils for myself too. Yummy aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom