Who has pet chickens but still eats chicken?

Do you eat chickens and have pet chickens?

• Total voters
Tbh, I went back and forth between votes .. the first and third options were both "sorta" true for us. Occasionally we do eat store chicken ... I'll pick up a package of thighs for example, when we want a family dinner of barbecue chicken in the crock pot. And the kids love chicken patties, so there's that, so I thought I should click Option #3. And Option #1 was also a "sorta," as I said, my chickens are not really pets the way they are for some people. But they're more than livestock; I am emotionally invested in them and I'm fond of them so I clicked #1. Oh well. 🤷‍♀️

I do. Barring necessity, I wouldn't eat one I had a special bond with. But I think it changes your worldview when you fall in love with an animal type typically used only for food.

All meat requires sacrifice. But I'm not sure we understand this until we look at it up close and get involved. Food becomes something more, and you realize we have accrued a debt to be paid back. Our animals should live well. We should live lives worthy of the sacrifices we require to continue our journey.

Back
Top Bottom