When should I let my hatched gosling swim?

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
When should I let my hatched gosling swim? I thought I read somewhere that you should wait untill they are about 2 months old and have all their feathers and that if they are hatched by their mothers her oils rub off on them and protect them in the water while they still have their down. Without those oils they risk drowning. Same for Ducks.

I've read where some folks here on BYC are letting 2 day old ducklings swim. This is my first Gosling and I have a batch of Ducks due to hatch Wed. and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Yes goslings can drown but yes they love to swim.

Here's what I did with the little ones.

Unfortunately we lost the tiny one to a respiratory problem but the other is doing fine and when outside has a 6" deep large flat plastic storage box to swim in. She loves it.

As long as they can get in and out and stand up you can let them swim.

The big guy is Chris, short for Christmas, our gander. He loves the babies.

Jacie

Do not let the goslings swim until they are half way feathered. When hatched in an incubator the ducks/goslings do not get the oil from the mother, which makes them waterproof. If you let them swim, they could become waterlogged and possibly die.

Sundown is right but in a controlled little bit of water I think it's fine. That's where mine have learned their diving skills and preening skills. I do take them out and get them dry.

Essie, short for Easter is learning all kinds of tricks in her 6" of water and totally enjoys it. She is in and out of her little faux pond all day and then is in at night in the brooder. She does not free range like Chris because we have a very swift creek running through our yard and she would definitely be swept under so she is penned at all times until she's grown.

Yes I'm in Camp Verde. Where are you located?
Jacie

You said the Magic words: Camp Verde! We are looking at a Beautiful home in CV and I'm just praying God will some how work it out. We would have to sell our house in Cave Creek first but we are trying to figure out how to tie the other up too. It's on the south side in that green belt off of General Crook Trail. We have been up there every weekend for about a month! Maybe we'll be neighbors soon! My little girl keeps saying we are going to move into that house on Aug 5th. ????????? Hope she knows something we don't.

Quote:
That's what I thought, What about the ducklings?

Its the same for the ducklings. When my Call Duck was about a week old, I would give her a small dish with less than an inch of water in it, warm water. She would sit in the dish and clean herself. Then I would take her out and dry her off.

Quote:
I love Camp Verde. We built up here 3 years ago. Lived in the valley (Glendale) for 22 years. Hubby is almost totally retired now. We have a little over 1 acre in the Green Belt over by the res off of Middle Verde Rd. I pm'd you my phone number. I would love to have you come by sometime.
Jacie

Quote:
That's what I thought, What about the ducklings?

Its the same for the ducklings. When my Call Duck was about a week old, I would give her a small dish with less than an inch of water in it, warm water. She would sit in the dish and clean herself. Then I would take her out and dry her off.

Thanks, I'm going to share this bit with BirdBoy88. He hatched some ducks yesterday and has them swimming already.

How can I tell which gender of goose I have? Hatched an African Goose 2 weeks ago - my they grow so fast! The kids are dying to name it but we don't know what it is! It seems to be losing the darker stripe on it's head and turning more yellow green. I don't know anything about geese except that we have spoiled this one rotten already. She slept for 3 hours in my arms the other day and just sqwalks all the time if we just pass her by with wout petting her in the cage or letting her out to follow us around the house - messy - Try to keep it on the tile floor and the kids follow her with toilet paper!

Back
Top Bottom