What to use for flushing wounds

PopoMyers

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
Ok, I have watched too many vet shows and read numerous articles about what to use to flush out wounds. ( like bumblefoot surgery, dirty wounds) What do you prefer to use, what is the best recommended, how to make the dilutions? Peroxide is not good? ( Injures tissue) Povidone, iodine, Veterycin, chlorhexidine, saline, dakins, etc. Where do you buy the syringes?

For me, it depends on where the wound/injury is.
Head/face/around eyes - I use saline. You can purchase saline or look up the recipes online. I have also used Banixx on the face as well...just saying.

Wounds on the body...you can use any of those you have listed. Peroxide could be used with initial cleaning if that's what you have on hand. Warm soapy water can also be used, just rinse.

Syringes can be purchased online or at stores like TSC. I sometimes pick up larger syringes at TSC, but for small 1ml syringes, I ordered bulk online I think off Ebay, but do a comparison pricing at Amazon as well.

I think sometimes we all get a bit hung up with what products should be used. It's great to have things on hand and be prepared if possible. Consider your budget when getting items for your chicken kit. If I could only pick 1 thing in your list, then I would get the Chlorhexidine or Betadine. Either one will cover just about anything and of course saline can be made at home with boiled water with salt added. (Dakin's can be made at home too - so having that recipe is a good idea as well -it's not one I would use on the face/eyes).
Go for simple and basic.

Also - triple antibiotic ointment - generic store brand seems to work very well for treating most wounds. I've used it on most everything from ripped and torn skin, toes/feet, eyes/face, bumblefoot, etc....this is something to keep on hand as well.

One of our hens got very lucky and escaped a run in with our chicken-crazy LGD....but not before several feathers got ripped from her back. I was sure she was going to die. She seemed in terrible shock. But I gathered her up, scolded the dogs harshly, liberally applied betadine to her wounded back, and then released her (I had no way to keep her indoors and nowhere to separate her from her flock outdoors). Next day, she was out and active looking disheveled, but otherwise acting normal. Fast forward several weeks and she's indistinguishable from the rest of the ladies in our flock. Of course, they're all molting to one degree or another, but I'm sold on betadine for injuries. I have no doubt she would have succumbed to her injuries without it.

Saline is the most gentle thing to flush a wound, since it is isotonic. Dr.Pol uses hydrogen peroxide a lot, and it works to bubble out an abscess once in animals, but I would not use it on wounds to clean them. His other vets use Vetericyn, I have noticed. Vetericyn is fine, and 2% clorhexidene is used in most hospitals to clean a dirty wound. It can be irritating with repeated use. Betadine is okay, but should not be used repeatedly because of risk of toxicity. Plain Neosporin is commonly used, but should not be used in excess. One of it’s ingredients neomycin may cause allergic reaction in some. Polysporin may be substituted.

Best gadget I’ve found for flushing wounds is a turkey baster. It holds a decent volume, comes apart for cleaning, is cheap to replace, and gives a good stream with acceptable control. I keep one in my home first aid kit.

Back
Top Bottom