What SMALL breed of dog will protect my chickens?

bigoledude

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
SE, Louisiana
My first guess was a Jack Russell terrier. Then, I found an ad just posted in our local on-line newspaper classifieds for a free Australian Shepherd. I know the Australian dog is a herd dog but, are they protective over the flock? Will their instincts work for protecting poultry?

If they are protective, will they actually KILL the predator? How big do they get 20-30-40 pounds?

I would like a smallish dog. Do you guys have any other suggestions for a breed?

I have seen Aussies anywhere from 28-60 pounds. Most are energetic and may try to herd your chickens (unfortunatly, in some cases, to death).

I wouldn't go for the JRT, neat dogs, but difficult without a lot of exercise and guidance.

I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but Lhasa Apsos were bred as guard dogs (for temples, I think). They are on the small side and brave, but not big enough to fight an intruder, but more than capable of letting you know something is out there. They are a bit of a grooming issue, though.

Good luck with your search.

ETA: BTW, don't go get a dog and just throw it out with your chickens. Even LGDs need training.

Last edited:
i don't know a lot about dogs, not being a dog person, but my sister is. Jack Russells are very feisty and aggressive, and would probably be inclined to kill your chickens rather than protect them. i believe that may be true for most terriers. They were originally bred to hunt and kill vermin.

Australian Shephards, as you say, are herd animals, and may be more inclined towards protection. They may get to be 30-35 pounds. With training, they might be a good choice. But i think training is key. Sadly, i have read so many threads about people's dogs killing the very chickens they were meant to protect.

i'll let others with more experience chime in here. What kind of predators are you dealing with there?

Quote:
I have a Lhasa and she is fab at watching my chickens. I'm not sure she would much good with a predator thats big or aggressive but she will certain alert you to the problem. Grooming isn't too bad as long as you keep it up I do 15 mins daily and bath monthly they do knot very easily but as long as you keep on top of it its not too hard.

Hey BorderKelpie

My initial thoughts are more inclined to a breed that will dispatch the killer. There have been raccoons around my place that easily go 25-30 pounds. I'm not trying to be all macho or anything but, if one of my hunting podnahs came over and I told them that the cute little dog with the bow in it's hair was my GUARD DOG!!! See what I mean?

Seriously, I do appreciate the suggestion. I just need some suggestions on a breed that can handle the outdoor country life, while at the same time, be willing to give up his own life to protect it's animals.

I'd like to invite the dog inside occasionally to hang out with me. Maybe ride in the truck with me on occasion. A small (15-25-pounds) , fierce, protective, and territorial breed is what I was hoping for. Is there such a breed?

You need a REALLY annoying neighborhood beagle. Yep...BEAGLE. Preferrably one that manages to steal food off your outdoor table, run away with any boots left unattended and poop in your yard.

BUT...that dang beagle thinks my chickens are her "babies", so I have taken to giving her a pat or two. With the tip of one finger...
wink.png

your better off going for a lgd breed like a pyr or a anatolian but if you have a secure run you can get almost any dog and USUALLY they will kill varmits in there area that they think is theres i like decker terriers i think they would work for your situation

Last edited:
Well. I would suggest against a Jack as well. They are overly energetic and may be overly playful towards your chickens.

Border Collies are the number one herding dog, in my opinion. Even a cross. Excellent with kids, with most pets, and generally quiet. BUT they do have energy and need a great outlet for it.

You are going to laugh, but, my 8lb chihuahua is the best chicken dog. She keeps them all herded together when they free range and herds them away from the kids.
tongue.png

My dream is to have a rhodesian ridgeback, they are simply beautiful animals and so athletic. If you want an animal to fight large preditors (LIONS even!) than this is the dog for you. As long as you raise it from a puppy with your flock of chickens I think you would have a great guard dog for your chickens. Dogs tend to see anything it is raised with as it's own family pack. But depending on your climate, I don't know how well it would do in the cold.
Good luck finding a dog...sometimes rescue mutts can be the best dogs ever. My hero growing up was a husky shepard mix. Visit an animal shelter!

Back
Top Bottom