What size dog crate for broody

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
So I have I believe 7 broodys. Long story but lent out my smaller crate I used as a broody breaker last year, bought a used one but it is too big for my coop and even though my run is secure I am not comfortable having them in there overnight. So looking to get a smaller crate for in the coop to use just overnight.

What is the smallest size I should go with for 1 broody overnight? What about 2 in there together?? I can put them in the huge crate in the run during the day.

I will post the 3 sizes I am thinking about. Found a used one that they are measuring for me but don't know if it is 18,22 or 24" long .... So the top 3 on the chart I posted

These are full size Cochins and Ameraucana/cochin mixes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509-110343.png
    Screenshot_20240509-110343.png
    812.2 KB · Views: 16
Big enough for the chicken to comfortably stand up in, and for it to not hit it's head while sitting on whatever roost you add for it. Doesn't have to be too big. It should just be in there a short while. I've had good luck breaking hens by just penning them away from their chosen nest site. A few stubborn ones need the wire bottom, but not all.

Big enough for the chicken to comfortably stand up in, and for it to not hit it's head while sitting on whatever roost you add for it. Doesn't have to be too big. It should just be in there a short while. I've had good luck breaking hens by just penning them away from their chosen nest site. A few stubborn ones need the wire bottom, but not all.
Thanks. I have a brooder built into my coop that may work but my chicks still like to use it at night which is when I would need it for. Ugh. These darn broodys!!

I use a small crate for breaking one hen. I only have one hen who goes broody (knock on wood).
Last year I had I think 4 but not all at once. So far this year I have had 9!!! One was basically winter still so she broke pretty quick. Another broke on their own a week or two ago. Now I have 7 that are broody. 5 of them are from last year's hatches so 9-12 mo!!! Funny 3 of them all hatched from the same hens eggs, that hen has never been broody. Lol

Back
Top Bottom